Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Front Leaf Spring F250 4x4s

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Is there much difference in ride between the early 73-77 F250 4x4s Highboys with the 6 spring pack vs the later ones 77.5-79s with the 2 pack springs? Also, based on this website http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=80&pg=1

the spring capacity for the 2 leaf is heavier. Is that true? Anyway, I was just wondering if going to a 2 pack spring make the ride any smoother? I'm not looking for a luxery ride because I know that's not possible with these, but a little bit smoother would be nice. I did notice that the PO of my truck added a leaf to my front ones so that I have a 7 pack spring. I don't know if that would make much of a difference or not in ride. The other thing is, I want to keep the 4 inch lift so is that possible with a different block of some sort and using the 2 pack spring? I'm not looking at doing any fabrication or anything, just a direct swap kind of thing. But, if it's not much of a difference than I'm not even going to look at a swap because my springs aren't shot or anything.

Blocks on the front axle are a big no no. kinda funny as mu peterbilt truck has blocks on the front axle but always heard NO blocks on the front axle. Probably have to search about superduty springs to get a good riding 4" lift.
John

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Blocks on the front axle are a big no no. kinda funny as mu peterbilt truck has blocks on the front axle but always heard NO blocks on the front axle. Probably have to search about superduty springs to get a good riding 4" lift.
John

Ya, I guess I did figure that, but just didn't know for sure if anything "safe" was possible to keep the 4 inch lift and going to a different spring. I was trying to look into the superduty spring conversion, but not sure which year of spring to use. From what I've read, a SD spring should fit with minor grinding in the front bracket and would only have to relocate the rear mount for the front spring. I'll have to check into that a bit more with the SD springs. I just knew that the 77-79 springs would be a direct swap, but the 4 inch lift thing would be the issue.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Buck,

I don't know if the swap would be worth your trouble. I can tell you first hand that the 78-79's ride like a stone boat, too. I don't know exactly how different it would be from your Highboy, but I can't belive it's that much...or enough of a difference to take on a lot of work to do it.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Buck,

I don't know if the swap would be worth your trouble. I can tell you first hand that the 78-79's ride like a stone boat, too. I don't know exactly how different it would be from your Highboy, but I can't belive it's that much...or enough of a difference to take on a lot of work to do it.

Your probably right. I've been trying to find where the superduty springs are talked about, but I can't seem to find out what year(s) is being used.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
X2 on the Sduty springs! You'll need 99-04 springs.

They take a tiny bit of work to get them in there but the results are reportedly well worth it. I believe that the bushing sizes on the SDuty springs are slightly larger and the front hanger holes need to be slightly enlarged and larger diameter bolts need to be installed.. Also longer swing shackles need to be fabbed.

You'll need gasser springs, not diesel springs for a good ride.

.............and there is a bit of a guessing game as to how much a lifted SD spring will lift you're "lighter than any SD", dentside. If I remember 4" springs will get you about 6"s of lift in a 'dent. You can just remove a leaf from each pack till you get the desired lift height that you're after.

Here's a guy that did it.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/750432-finished-my-sd-spring-swap-and-sterling-rear-pics.html

I thought I had more info on this in my favorites, guess not!

Last edited:

primetime

sawmill slave
You could take your springs apart, clean and paint them with graphite, and install teflon sliders. Might want to take out the extra leaf, unless of course it`s provideing the lift. New shocks, bushings, and making sure the bolts aren`t over tightened can also make a difference in ride.

I used to have a book on vehicle spring specs.I got it from Standens Springs when I had to have my Mustang's springs redrawn because they came up too weak..then too strong. So asked for an application chart so they could get it right.

It never made the move to where I live and it would have helped a lot on this question.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
You could take your springs apart ...............and install teflon sliders.

You know what, I can't believe that I forgot, but I did this to the "78-79 specific" Superlift springs that are in the front of my '79. It did make the ride better, even with the add a leaf that I added to each pack at the same time.

It costs very little to do, unless you burn up countless drill bits making holes for the teflon pads. YES, drilling spring steel is not fun!!!:headbang:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
You could take your springs apart, clean and paint them with graphite, and install teflon sliders. Might want to take out the extra leaf, unless of course it`s provideing the lift. New shocks, bushings, and making sure the bolts aren`t over tightened can also make a difference in ride.

Interesting Idea. I did find some more about the SD springs I found "over there". It seems that the 99-04 SD springs in the front aren't that bad putting in. Most threads people are installing springs to get 8 or 10" of lift while I just want to basically keep the same 4" lift, but a little bit softer. (BTW, it doesn't bother me much, but the wifey hates it). The other thing is, do the rears matter that much in these trucks for a softer highway/street ride?

Ford Truck Articles