Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2006 Ford Escape XLT V6 3.0 4wd - ABS light

Hey everyone,

Have a 2006 Ford Escape w/ 4wd. The other night I was driving home and the ABS light came on and the 4wd light started flashing intermittently. From what I've found online, it could one of a number of things. Bad ABS sensor, bad ABS tone ring, bad drivetrain, some theory that once you go over 70mph the ABS is turned off for safety (that one sounds ridiculous). I'm bringing it back to the dealer this week (used car warranty expires this Friday) and I've got my personal mechanic just trying to find the problem so I can be a bit more "educated" but I thought I'd come here to see if I could get some additional assistance.

Since the lights have came on for the first time, they have gone on and off on two different occasions. Also, on three different occasions (both with lights on and off) the ABS engages when I'm trying to break on dry pavement. Never been a HUGE deal since I'm on regular streets and going slower, but not good if I were on the expressway.

If anyone has any other theories or could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also, if anyone knows how in-depth these possible fixes could be that would be great (can you replace a sensor and/or tone ring without having to do major work...front axle, etc.?). Thanks for any help.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Too many possibilities to speculate. Getting dtcs (or codes) would be the first step. Sensors are easy to replace. The tone rings are more involved. It could be as simple as the fuse for the brake lights is blown. Do the basics and check if the lights work, and the master cylinder is full of fluid.

Sounds good. I know the break lights work. Checked those last night. Will check the fluid this afternoon. Thanks.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Check the front tone rings for cracks. IF I had to guess thats what i'd go with on an Escape..

Ford Truck Articles