Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

no trim pieces...

Because I can't leave well enough alone, I have been looking at photos on line of 1973 F-100 trucks with the intention getting upgrade ideas for mine. I have noticed that some have removed the aluminum trim pieces from the sides of the trucks before repainting. Please see attached photo. Is this pretty common? Does it effect the overall value of the truck or is it basically a preference call? Just curious....:)

Thanks, Donald.

Attachments

• no trim.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It would depend on the the level of trim that came from the factory.

If it came with the trim in the "dent", there would be studs that the plastic mounting clips latch on to.

There is also "Racetrack" moulding that is an extension of that that goes to the bottom of the box.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
Typically it has been my experience that most prefer the trim to be there, but I also have a parts truck that had no trim at all. As Duncan mentioned, there would be round pin heads that attach the trim if it had it. If they chose to eliminate those, then there is less option to mount the trim back on. It isn't out of the question for someone to remove those pins, to each their own. I had a 76 that I replaced the box on, and the replacement box did not have the pins.

Painting and trim. Just completed the paint on mine, working on the canopy now (fiberglass and such). Does anyone know where I can find the chrome trim for the drip rails that will fit a super cab? Is the long section off of a club cab the same?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It won't make difference on the value, but the reason quite a few people leave the trim off is 1) it's just a cleaner look. 2) (and the reason I left it off) you don't want to put nasty trim back on fresh paint, but also don't want to drop a couple grand on new trim.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It would depend on the the level of trim that came from the factory.

If it came with the trim in the "dent," there would be studs that the plastic mounting clips latch on to.

There is also "Racetrack" moulding that is an extension of that that goes to the bottom of the box.
OP has a 1973, Race Track mouldings introduced in 1977, standard equipment on 1977/79 Ranger XLT's and 1978/79 Lariats.

1973/79 Rangers and some Customs came with thin anodized aluminum upper body side mouldings.

1973/76 Ranger XLT's came with wide anodized aluminum upper body side mouldings with a black vinyl insert.

The front fender, door and cab corner mouldings w/the black vinyl insert were also used with Race Track mouldings.

The Race Track bedside mouldings with the black vinyl insert were Race Track only, as the end of these mouldings curve where the vertical Race Track connector moulding attaches that connects the upper mouldings to the lower mouldings.

Last edited:
Not sure who OP is? Good info though, thank you. I have my chrome molding for the drip rails of my super cab, but buggered the first one up trying to reinstall it probably due to the extra thickness of paint and clearcoat. Was wondering if there was aftermarket or OEM stuff out there, and is the long section of aftermarket stuff for the club cab the right length? I can find that.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Not sure who OP is? Good info though, thank you. I have my chrome molding for the drip rails of my super cab, but buggered the first one up trying to reinstall it probably due to the extra thickness of paint and clearcoat. Was wondering if there was aftermarket or OEM stuff out there, and is the long section of aftermarket stuff for the club cab the right length? I can find that.
The OP (Original Poster - FTF user name: moveoverGM) is the one who started this thread.

Last edited:
Copy that. Still learning this forum lingo stuff. Not much of a computer guy. I leave the computer stuff to the kids at work. What I'm really in the hunt for is drip rail molding for a super cab, the rest of my stuff is decent.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Copy that. Still learning this forum lingo stuff. Not much of a computer guy. I leave the computer stuff to the kids at work. What I'm really in the hunt for is drip rail molding for a super cab, the rest of my stuff is decent.
Super Cab drip rail mouldings are as hard to find as Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Hoffa and Judge Crater, 3 famous 20th century missing persons.

Awesome, so to make the ones I have work I am guessing they were expanded wider initially and then some special tool to crimp them to grab the drip rail. Are my assumption is correct can I gingerly spread them wider and then figure out a way to get them to crimp?

Ford Truck Articles