Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

MPG improvements on a Ford 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Since there seems to always be someone asking how to improve mileage in 73-79 trucks, I figured this info could be useful to someone. I started with a 1979 Bronco with a 1978 400 that had roughly 100k original miles. I was getting somewhere between 7.5-8mpgs with an engine that was a little tired and was leaking. After 3 tanks of gas, I am right at 9.5mpg's and that's with some relative flogging, burnouts and excessive idling. I also bumped the timing from 12* to 14*. So once I tone down the lead foot, my numbers may increase. Anyway, here's a part list of everything I used to increase 1.5-2 mpgs:

Timing Chain: Feels a little cheap, so I think I'll go back to Cloyes next time around
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-2121/

Gasket Set: Used every piece in this set except for the valve stems, personally I prefer cork gaskets, but the rubber components seem to be doing the job

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-KS2308/

Coil: Figured the upgrade was worth $30:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-40011/

Plug Wires: I prefer the straight plug boots, and probably will never get 135* boots again. Seems like a good quality discount set of wires to upgrade to.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-64663/

Carb Renew kit: I was surprised at how good my carb looked. I coulda reused everything, but figured while it was apart and I had a kit, it wouldn't hurt.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-37-935/

Spark Plugs: Regular old copper Motorcrafts, no need for anything else on street rig.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-SP450/

I also replaced all filters and got them from local parts stores. I used Rotella T 15w-40 from Wal-Mart and NAPA 50/50 coolant, whatever was on sale.

Disclaimer...results may vary, just figured I'd post up what a couple hundred bucks and a good tune up could do for your ride.

While a couple hundred may sound like alot to spend on this stuff, I figure I can roughly go another 50 miles on a 25 gallon tank. 50 miles used to be 7 gallons of gas. At 2.80 a gallon I'm saving $19.60 to go the same distance as before. So after fill up #10, I should break even. I fill up twice a week, so in week 6 I'll be money ahead.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
winnah winnah chicken dinnah!

Thank you thank you. I just figured there's always someone hopping on here wondering how to get their brick hybrid type mpg's. Well this is about as good as you're gonna get. Figured a 25% increase was pretty good and it might show what you'll have to do and go through to get it. I could do a write up, but the majority of it is self explanatory and I already did a timing chain write-up, and that's the bulk of the work.

That is a significant increase.Good job!

Yeah...I thought so. I'm excited to see what my highway miles are gonna be like. I used to get 10, I'm hoping for 13-14. And I'll be able to figure it up this weekend.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
best way to greatly increase mileage in our trucks:

pic-65126.jpeg

:D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree 100%. If you want good gas mileage, get a car. But...since it seems to be asked quite often, I figured I'd post up how to maximize mpg's for these rigs. And figured it might be helpful to someone to see what a realistic number might be. Sure, there are some variables like 2wd vs. 4wd and auto vs. manual and there may be better products out there, but this is a good starting point.

well theeres always expensive ways of getting better mpgs, compression, better engine components, Im currently preparing an aod swapp for my 408, its pretty easy now but still a bit expensive ( about 1500 bucks if you do the job yourself) but will increase significantly my mpg, theres tons of ways of having a powerfull yet no sooo expensive to drive plant...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
well theeres always expensive ways of getting better mpgs, compression, better engine components, Im currently preparing an aod swapp for my 408, its pretty easy now but still a bit expensive ( about 1500 bucks if you do the job yourself) but will increase significantly my mpg, theres tons of ways of having a powerfull yet no sooo expensive to drive plant...

Very true...but most of the things on my list are things anybody with a pulse can do. Not saying there aren't other ways to go about getting mpg's, just thought these were the easiest and took right around 10 hours to do from start to finish. That being said, I have no clue which of these things made the biggest improvement or if they all contributed equally, but it's something everyone can and should do.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I just feel that if you build a big truck with a big engine, MPGs are not something you worry about with it. If you have the money to build it, you have the money to fill it. Of course, you want it running efficiently and not be out of tune, but chasing that last .5 MPGs seems like an exercise in futility to me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sure is...I wasn't doing this to chase down any mpg's, I knew it was gonna be terrible regardless. I was doing this stuff cuz it needed to be done. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a 2mpg increase 3 consecutive tanks. So I figured I'd share the results for those that want their 6000lb V8 rig to get hybrid mpg's. And even with all that work...I still only got an increase of 2mpg's. There is no miracle bolt on that get you from 10mpgs to 20+mpg's. You have a truck with the aerodynamics of a brick, you bought it because it was tough, cool and cheap.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
exactery...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just a little update...I got 12.47mpg's on a 248 mile round trip on Saturday wehn picking up parts. All but 6 miles was highway driving at 70-75mph in 90* weather.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Interesting Ben....I just got off the phone with Boss EFI and we got on the subject of fuel economy. With the system they are using which has a target AF using a Bosch wide band O2 sensor, he's had guys returning 20mpg+ out of some large engines moving a good deal of weight.
I'm gonna be curious as to what the actual numbers would be.
When you figure a Pro-Systems type carb is $750 and the EFI system is $2k...increasing mileage by 5-8mpg would pay for itself pretty quick.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Interesting Ben....I just got off the phone with Boss EFI and we got on the subject of fuel economy. With the system they are using which has a target AF using a Bosch wide band O2 sensor, he's had guys returning 20mpg+ out of some large engines moving a good deal of weight.
I'm gonna be curious as to what the actual numbers would be.
When you figure a Pro-Systems type carb is $750 and the EFI system is $2k...increasing mileage by 5-8mpg would pay for itself pretty quick.

Wow...that is really good. And figure that was optimum mpg's for my rig. Even so, for arguments sake, say I get 13, and the setup you'll get will get 20...a 7mpg difference. With a 25 gallon tank, I can travel 325 miles, you can travel 500. So there is a 175 mile difference. That used to be an extra 13.5 gallons roughly so you could travel that extra 175 miles. So if avg gas price in my region of the US is $2.90 a gallon, that's saving roughly $40 over the same distance. If your entire setup will cost $2750, that means it will take 68.75 tanks of gas to break even. For me, that would be over the course of a year. Not too bad of a ROI if you ask me.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wow...that is really good. And figure that was optimum mpg's for my rig. Even so, for arguments sake, say I 13, you'll get 20...a 7mpg difference. With a 25 gallon tank, I can travel 325 miles, you can travel 500. So there is a 175 mile difference. That used to be an extra 13.5 gallons roughly so you could travel that extra 175 miles. So if avg gas price in my region of the US is $2.90 a gallon, that's saving roughly $40 over the same distance. If your entire setup will cost $2750, that means it will take 68.75 tanks of gas to break even. For me, that would be over the course of a year. Not too bad of a ROI if you ask me.

Actually, the initial cost would be right around the 2k mark...my point was I was gonna spend $750 on the carb...which puts the difference at $1250...which would have a pretty fast return.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Actually, the initial cost would be right around the 2k mark...my point was I was gonna spend $750 on the carb...which puts the difference at $1250...which would have a pretty fast return.

Oh yeah...shoot even better, and I was agreeing with you. That's pretty damn quick.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Oh yeah...shoot even better, and I was agreeing with you. That's pretty damn quick.

I knew you were Ben...I was just making the figures more clear.
The other benefit would be not having to screw around with a second tank.
If I can get 250 miles out of a tank, that will be fine for my purposes.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The second tank is not that big a deal, I'd say keep it. Then run 500 miles

Edit: Just remembered you don't have the second fill door.

That is the issue Mark...I really don't want to screw around getting a door installed...and the tank that's in there also plays havoc with the exhaust routing...I haven't decided yet 100% on what to do regarding it.

Now you are taliking bigger dollars, If its highway or road traveling an AOD or any overdrive unit will get you even better mpgs than an efi and it would be cheaper and less complicated.... around 1500-2000$?? a good efi will be more close to the 3k than 2...

Ford Truck Articles