View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 PM
sawmill slave

primetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond repute
Been a quite some time since I`ve done anything with this. Moved it around the yard, kept gathering stuff, went thru a period when life in general had me depressed, and would have sold it if a coworker wasn`t so cheap and thought he was gonna get it for free.

But, it`s now and I still have it. About two weeks ago I got a good running Explorer 5.0. The Explorer had been in my yard since last August for a trans swap. Belonged to my sisters boyfriend. I hauled it to my house, pulled the trans, and hey, he doesn`t have money to fix it. Said he did though, lol.

Anyways, he traded it off to the local buy here/pay here, and never delivered it. I worked out a deal with the owner of the car lot, because well, I grew up around them, and they wanted their Explorer, and got the engine.

So that pretty much kicked everything back into high gear

Over the last few years I have gathered up an 11" clutch and flywheel for a 50 oz imbalance 302, a small block 4x4 T19 trans, remote mount battery cables, another t-case to cut up to clock the one I wanted to use, and other stuff.

In the last two weeks I`ve stripped the 5.0 down, washed it and the trans, built a front driveshaft, and some other stuff. I`m trying to do something to it every night. The engine was a big road block. I think I`ll be able to have it chooching enough to at least move around the yard. I`m tired of seeing it sit.

The 5.0. I got a new throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and rebuild kit for an Edelbrock carb I had on the shelf. A buddy is rebuilding the carb.

I had to cut the floor out because after I clocked the t-case up, and built a driveshaft, the front yoke on the t-case was pointed up, the driveshaft was down, and the angle was BAD. So I manned up, lol.

I clocked the t-case up. This turned out to be a pita that I started about the last time I posted on this. You can buy clocking rings, but they don`t retain the dowel. Guys that are more hardcore then me use them and don`t seem to have a problem, could be a moot point, but I`m anal.

So anyways, initially, I cut the t-case end off of a C-6 trans adapter, and tried to line everything up. No good. Things were just a little off. Could`nt find another T19 adapter, so I took it to a shop and had them weld the dowel hole I drilled closed. I picked up a NP 208, cut the input side of it off, because the t-case has an indexing ring, put it where I wanted, and drilled it. Should have used the drill press, but I was in hurry, and impatient. Lol. It`ll work.

It`s horizantal now, instead of hanging down. Good enough.

With that done I was able to get a measurement for the front driveshaft. I thought I would need a longer one, but oh no. I needed a shorter one. My buddy that built this and had no problems modifying driveshafts has passed, my guy that used to do them for $35 has passed, so I watched some Youtube videos, and manned up, lol. Course, once I cut the floor out and raised the t-case two inches to improve the angle at the t-case u-joint, it`s an inch to short, lol.

On the plus side, I don`t have to modify the trans crossmember that I already started for driveshaft clearance. It`s all about the little things,lol.

So, as of today. Motor mounts. Done. Trans crossmember. Finalized. Have all the pieces, just have to weld it all together. I have the steel to redo the floor, so I`m good there. Have to get paint for the engine, a gasket to swap the intake, a manual trans starter, and some plug wires.

Once the engine, trans, and t-case are in their final home, it`s just a matter of hooking stuff up. So to speak, lol.

Justin

With a little luck and a greenback dollar you gonna see me shine.