Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ABS light on, brake problems

Fl.
ABS light stays on after panic stop with trailer. 70 MPH to 0 as fast as you can. I need some service advice about the ABS system in my 2000 f250. During the stop the light came on and has stayed on. I had major brake fade during the stop. Rotors are now warped , it shutters under breaking. The brakes are no where as good as they were. How do I check out the ABS? The light went out once, I stepped on the brake. The truck pulled hard driver the light went out and it stopped pulling.Just looking for a place to start. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Bax

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Did you check brake fluid level in the master cylinder? That's the first place I'd start. If it's low, bet the pads need to be replaced.

Fl.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I did check my brake fluid level. All good there.Brake job about 6 months ago. I had replaced all rotors and pads. Brakes were smooth and in good working order.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If the brakes got hot enough to warp the rotors, I imagine it cooked the sensors too
Like mentioned, have you checked the codes?

Fl.
Have not checked for a code yet. I will do that this weekend and post what I find. I dont think it is a sensor. That would be too easy. Sometimes the light will go out. It makes a noise when it does. Much like the noise the transfer case makes when going into low. With the light off if you apply the brake it will pull to the drivers side, then the light will come on and the pull stops. I think something other than a sender is wrong. But you guys are correct, I should start by putting the scanner on it.
Thanks again.
Bax

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sounds like a toner wheel came loose

Ford Truck Articles