Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

changing springs ???

I would like to change the springs in my truck in order to soften the ride a little. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

I have a 06 F350 4x4 bought new. Unfortunately, when I had some minor body work done on the drivers side, the body shop forgot to take a picture of the door pillar stickers, so I don't have what ever spring info that was there anymore. The stickers were removed in the repainting process. If I had known, I would have photographed them myself. Live and learn. At any rate, I purchased this truck with the highest GVWR I could get at the time, I believe 11,400 lbs. The salesman did ask me to be sure that is what I wanted. Yes I said, because I ain't coming here again to buy another truck! (I bought a F150 in 2000 but after buying a farm a few years later, I was constantly overloading it.)

Well, now I am married with kid. The wife can put up with the harsh ride, but I cannot expect my currently 15 month old daughter to enjoy it. I would really like her to love the outdoors as much as I do, but I think the truck ride will turn her off someday (especially after she blossoms). Lord knows my pecs hurt for some time until I got used to it!

I spoke with the local spring shop, who are regarded as the best around, but got nowhere. They said the front coils cannot be changed and changing the rears was not going to accomplish anything because the whole truck was designed for the 11,400 lbs rating. I have an EE degree, but this all sounded like BS to me, but I couldn't argue with them and left.

So any help or guidance would be appreciated. I really want to soften the ride somewhat without totally giving up all of what I bought the 350 for, but, I tow more than haul, so I could live with ending up with something more akin to a 250 load rating.

I still have the factory shocks on it too. Would something like Bilsteins help at all?

Thanks guys.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I gotta say that I'm surprised that you are having a harsh ride. I have an 05 with the same GVWR package on it and it rides just fine. I am typically in it by myself with nothing in the box. In fact, when there are 4 adults in the truck I have had comments on how smooth the truck is given that is a 350.
Good shocks will help improve any vehicle.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I agree with Duncan. Throw some Bilstein shocks on it and see if that doesn't fix what you want. These things ride better than sports cars and sports sedans if you are talking about road feedback. Luxury cars might be the only thing better.

Ryan

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
My 95 F350 rode like a brick down the road, I put some Bilsteins on it and it rode so much better, so smooth, and the 95 has leafs in the front. Coil spring trucks ride so much better then leaf trucks. Def the shocks are the way to go.

Thanks for some feedback. It rides harsh, obviously the springs are wound tight, so to speak. When loaded, its incredibly smooth. When empty, its rough, not bad on flat terrain, but over rough patches in the road, its pretty bouncy. Some stretches of highway can have small bumps every 50 feet or so in between the concrete sections and this makes the truck start to bounce front to back. Its got to look very weird to other drivers on the road.

I suppose I will change the shocks and see if or what that does for me. They are the originals anyway with about 59K on them. The truck has been this way since I drove it off the lot, so it can't be worn out shocks. Who knows what Ford put on it though.

So what Bilsteins model do I need? Is it that easy to tell me or do I need to do some research on what is offered? I see in some signatures people mention Bilsteins, but don't say what model. I am assuming here that Bilstein is the way to go.

Thanks guys.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Thanks for some feedback. It rides harsh, obviously the springs are wound tight, so to speak. When loaded, its incredibly smooth. When empty, its rough, not bad on flat terrain, but over rough patches in the road, its pretty bouncy. Some stretches of highway can have small bumps every 50 feet or so in between the concrete sections and this makes the truck start to bounce front to back. Its got to look very weird to other drivers on the road.

I suppose I will change the shocks and see if or what that does for me. They are the originals anyway with about 59K on them. The truck has been this way since I drove it off the lot, so it can't be worn out shocks. Who knows what Ford put on it though.

So what Bilsteins model do I need? Is it that easy to tell me or do I need to do some research on what is offered? I see in some signatures people mention Bilsteins, but don't say what model. I am assuming here that Bilstein is the way to go.

Thanks guys.

You want the standard Bilstein "Truck Shock" (BTS) model F4-BE5-C295-HO (front) and F4-BE5-C296-HO (rear). Try shockwarehouse for low prices.
As far as determining your current installed springs see if the tags are still on the springs, also try locating your window sticker and if all else fails see if you can get a build sheet from FMC.

Check your tire pressures and see what they are. If you are running empty they do not need to be inflated for max load. Some stretches of interstate are bad no matter what springs are in the truck, I-40 outside of OK City is bad empty or loaded and I-70 & I-90 are bad do to the toll of winter weather. It is a truck and will never ride like a car that being said the modern 1-ton trucks ride very smooth compared to the trucks of 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will try those. I never thought to look on the window sticker. I think I still have it somewhere.

Thanks for the great site! Its been a while since I was on, but then again, I haven't had many issues with the Ford. I hope to have it many more!

Ford Truck Articles