Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Horsepower

Blade

Backwoods boy
i would like to get some more horsepower out of my truck. The output is rated at 140 hp @ 4600 rpm. anybody got any suggestions on how to get some more hp out of my truck?smiliepeelout

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What motor you got in it?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I"m not sure about what all that can be done to your engine.
But your best bet would be a beefy cam port and polish the heads headers and a good exhaust system..
Or you could do a v8 swap to a 302 or 351.
Seeing how your engine is going to be hard to find performance parts for it might be cheaper to do a engine swap. I may be wrong so don't quote me on that :D

Blade

Backwoods boy
lol.. yeah thats what countryboytn and me have talked about. i may do the v8 swap and put the 351 in a few years.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
302 is an easier fit in a Ranger, and should have plenty of power for most uses...

But on your 2.9- intake and exhaust would be good first steps. Make sure its tuned up (plugs/wires/etc.) well. Also, be aware that 2.9s have a tendancy to crack the heads if they overheat even once.

*For the intake, get a real cold air intake...if you can see the filter element when you open the hood (cough*K&N*cough), it's sucking hot air. Which is bad.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'd say just do exhaust for right now...we both know you don't need anything more powerful than what you have smiliepeelout . Plus with a Exhaust at least you sounds like you are goin fast, even when your sitting still.

Then WHEN you blow the little 2.9 up (i know you will) do a engine swap. Only problem I see would be that, it wont be just a "engine swap" you would probably neeed a trans, axles, T case, etc. that could handle the extra power. (might be wrong though...i don't know how much power those components can handle stock)

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
If your axle ratio is less than 3.73, it's candidate for an upgrade. Donars should be cheap and readily available.

If you want to stay with the 2.9 there are some things you can do. Open up the air flow to the engine. Open up the exhaust. There are headers for them, but $$$$ (around $400).

You can add higher flow injectors (19#) and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (one from a buick grand national will bolt on), but I am not as fond of that modification.

I also just happen to know where there is a 2.9 intake (upper and lower) that has been ported (gasket matched). YelloThumbUp That would help a lot if you do the other mods along with it.

As far as the head cracking...that depends on what year your engine is. In 89 they basically solved that one. The 89 heads are made different. Yes...they still do not like high heat, but they are not as prone to crack.

If you are going to modify the 2.9 or swap to a V8, I recommend getting a new radiator. The 1st gen explorer (4.0) radiator is a bolt in. You would need to swap the radiator hose, but that is about it. Those radiators can be bought new for around $90 from radiatorbarn.com.

As stated, the V8 swap is popular too. I have seen even the 351 stuffed in the 4X4 models. Not nearly as easy as the 302 though. You can actually buy kits from summit racing to drop a 302 into the 1st and 2nd gen rangers.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
You could put a 4.0 in they have enough power for a ranger and everything (Kinda) bolts right up. If you can find a 4.0 from a 91-94 with the tranny you can just bolt it in and swap the harness and computer and your good to go.
The 302 fits nice if you have a body lift, otherwise you need to do a little hammer work to the body at the tunnel.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Swap it for either a beefy 4.0L V6 or a 302 V8.

Ford Truck Articles