Ford Truck Fanatics

Ford Truck Fanatics (http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   FE + FT (http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   New starter ? (http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39406)

cbaker65 11-04-2015 04:00 PM

New starter ?
 
I should be getting my new starter in today.

My ? is ,anyone think that I should take my old starter gear off providing
that its in good shape an put it on the new since its already worn to the
flywheel,or should I leave the new gear on?...:)

dustybumpers 11-04-2015 06:34 PM

I would put the new starter on and try it. If it works and sounds ok, I would leave the gear alone

smokey 11-04-2015 07:19 PM

I agree with Charlie. don't go changing stuff unless you have too.

Fellro 11-04-2015 07:21 PM

It isn't that precise that you have to be concerned with it. Also, you typically void the warranty if you take it apart.

cbaker65 11-04-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustybumpers (Post 667864)
I would put the new starter on and try it. If it works and sounds ok, I would leave the gear alone

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey (Post 667867)
I agree with Charlie. don't go changing stuff unless you have too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellro (Post 667868)
It isn't that precise that you have to be concerned with it. Also, you typically void the warranty if you take it apart.

Ok....Thnx ye-all!.....smilieFordlogo

Big Jim F150 11-04-2015 08:24 PM

Leave it alone, and put the whole new starter on, that's what I did with my 78 F-150 is put a whole brand new starter fresh from NAPA, and it seems to work quite well, and also check your starter solenoid and battery cables.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogo

cbaker65 11-04-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jim F150 (Post 667871)
Leave it alone, and put the whole new starter on, that's what I did with my 78 F-150 is put a whole brand new starter fresh from NAPA, and it seems to work quite well, and also check your starter solenoid and battery cables.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogo

Thnx...yea,Im going to check the old starter an see,it could just be
dirty contacts or something,as I'm still currently using it,Im keeping
it for a spare or back up...:)

dustybumpers 11-05-2015 10:12 AM

Usually starter gear adjustment is done with shims
Usually shims are added to GM products ( Duncan knows all about Gm products )

Ford uses a motor plate to put the starter proper area away, and a nose cone is longer or shorter for the distance
That being said, just sit the 2 starters side by side before you put the new one up, and make sure the nose cone is the same.
Make sure the nose cones are "clocked" the same ( opening hits the flywheel at the same angle)

some nose cones have 3 bolts, some have 2.

Mostly, if you have a good parts supplier, and the tech looking up the starter is earning their pay, you shouldn't have any trouble.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Ford Truck Fanatics is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.