Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Disassembling the 300.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well guys, it has come time for me to part ways with the 4.9 300 I6. After removing the thermostat housing and finding junk and corrosion all throughout the head, I've decided to part it out and then scrap whatever doesn't sell. So I figured I'd make a little thread in here showing the stages of dis-assembly and why exactly I'm parting ways with the 300. For as long as I've owned the truck, I have wanted to know why it was parked for three years. I never got around to tearing it down until now, and well, I think I answered my question.

To fill you in on what I have found so far, here's a small list.

-Upon removing the air cleaner, I found that the carburetor linkage was incorrectly installed, and so the throttle plate was only opening at 3/4 throttle.
-Upon removing the thermostat housing, I found more corrosion and trash in the head than I have ever seen in my life.
-The truck was missing it's thermostat, which leads me to believe that the truck overheated at one point.
-The radiator had been previously drained and flushed after I got the truck, but when pulled back out and re-drained this week, it was just as bad as before.
-Most of the engine has been re-gasketed using some sort of orange gasket-maker. All of these "gaskets" failed and poured oil out of everywhere.
-The camshaft has visible marks on the lobe visible through the fuel pump lever hole, so I imagine the rest of the camshaft may be damaged as well.
-A few of the main attaching bracket pivot bolts were stripped. Only one has not been removed, and that one will need to be cut off.
-A few of the freeze plugs have been popped and show obvious signs of leakage.

And now for some pictures.

Before:

picture256fy.jpg

The reason I decided to tear it down:

picture271d.jpg

Air Cleaner, Carburetor, coolant hoses, and Alternator removed.

picture281.jpg

Distributor, Coil, associated wiring, and Fuel Pump removed:

picture288fo.jpg

Behind the Pushrod Cover:

picture289y.jpg

Exhaust removed. When I got the truck, there was nothing after the cat. I had to fashion the exhaust just to quiet the truck down a bit and avoid noise complaints.

picture290k.jpg

Intake/Exhaust Manifolds, Starter, Alternator brackets, and remaining vacuum lines removed.

picture297y.jpg

"AIR" tube refuses to come off, so I had to take the entire assembly off together. About 50 or so pounds.

picture296x.jpg

Looks like the cam has some nice marks on the lobe. This is looking through the fuel pump hole.

picture298h.jpg

Inside the Water Pump:

picture291.jpg

Lower Radiator Hose: Check out the "clogged artery".

picture286w.jpg

Behind the water pump, looking at the number 1 cylinder wall.

picture287f.jpg

Pretty sure the truck has gained a few inches height in the front. The front used to sit lower than the rear.

picture299o.jpg

The only things left keeping the engine and trans in are the motor and trans mounts, and the drive shaft. Once I get my new hydraulic ram, out comes the 300 and the C6.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
What's next? Modular?? Blown 533? Twin turbo Scorpion?!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Gosh, out those choices... I'd almost pick a new 300. Maybe cam it a little and call it a day.

Ryan

The 300 is a great motor, but to be honest, I hate the way they sound. No matter what you do, they still sound like a 6 cyl. I've been off and on with the 300, but this time I feel serious about swapping to a V8. I already have one 6 cylinder, and I don't really want another, especially in my fun truck.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Personally I would keep the 300 and add all the performance stuff. There are ways to make them sound good. I had a slant 6 in my old dodge with enough exhaust work done that people thought I had a 440 in it. I had to open the hood a few times for people. I guess working in an exhaust shop helped lol. Personally I would put more thought into it.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
The biggest thing you have to consider when choosing which engine to have in a vehicle is whether or not you'll be happy with it. Generally, I'm not happy with the 300 at all. They're great motors, and have been proven, but I just don't feel like it's the motor I want in the F100. There's no use in me building a motor that I'm not happy with. That just takes the fun out of everything. Sure I could build it out and make it a V8 eater, but there's just something about them that keeps me from wanting one in the F100.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
What makes you want a 400? Just curious. I can see a bunch of reasons for an8 over a 6.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
What makes you want a 400? Just curious. I can see a bunch of reasons for an8 over a 6.

Well aside from the reasoning provided previously, the 300 I6 was rated at around 117 hp with 227 ft lbs of torque. The 302 had 133 hp and 233 ft lbs of torque. The 300 was by far the worst engine in terms of power and torque in 1980. It would take quite a bit of money to build the 300, and I just can't justify spending all that money on an engine that doesn't particularly interest me. You have to love what you build, and I'm not in love with the 300. As for my choosing the 400, I want a period correct motor in the truck. My choices are between a 302, a 351M, and the 400. The 302 is a little too common for the F100. I want a motor that isn't usual, but isn't hard to find parts for. This leaves the 351M, and the 400. The 351M is just a de-tuned 400 with a few internal differences, so I'm just gonna go all the way and go with a 400.

The whole point of my F100 is to make it something I've never seen and something that probably doesn't exist, but at the same time keeping it as something that could have rolled off one of the Ford assembly lines.

Yeah, it's hard to disguise that 'tractor' sound.

Ryan

Especially on my 300.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
This is a built 300 with a big cam. I don't think it sounds like a tractor, and it'll whoop a 400. just my .02

click on the picture

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Forgot to update this thread. lol. The 300 has been out of the truck for a few weeks now. Most of the outer parts have been sold, such as the carburetor, air cleaner, distributor, etc.

picture306b.jpg

picture308x.jpg

picture311w.jpg

picture316u.jpg

picture315w.jpg

Ford Truck Articles