Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake job

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Put new rotors and pads on the old girl today.
The ice melt chemicals rust up the rotors (and everything else) so bad it flakes hunks of the rotors off.

The one was seized so bad I pounded about 10 minutes wailing on it like it was a red headed step kid with a 6 pound sledgehammer to break it loose. Should have just went out and got a new tank of oxygen to heat it up to pop it off.
All the pounding at least knocked loose rust off it.

Bloody rust ..... we see that kind of damage only when someone's been using their truck for launching boats into the ocean. Is the new road chemicals even worse that salt Randy?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Some salts are more harsh than others. Those "spray" type salts are really harsh, and ocean salt is decently harsh.

But the sheet quanity and coverage and penetration of the frame in sea water has got to be intense!

Ryan

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I didn't realize how bad the Eastern seaboard rust problem was until my son ordered a used rear driveshaft from New York. The driveshaft tube had rusted through in spots. He ordered another one from Arizona. :D

Ford Truck Articles