Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new member looking for help

Hello all,

New member and I really looking for some idea's on a problem I'm having on a 1978 ford f150 4X4 with a 351M. Okay here is my problem when I bought the truck the brake pedal would stick to the floor I could pull it back up with my foot under it and yes the brakes worked its just the pedal would not return up. So I Pulled the vacuum booster line out of the booster and the pedal returned to the upright position. So i bought a replacement booster with master cylinder, I kind of thought why not do them both together who knows how long the master cylinder would last so I replaced them both. Well same problem with the vacuum booster replaced.. Brakes work but pedal will not return... I'm out of ideas. again if I pull the vacuum line out of the booster the pedal will return... I'm at a loss any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I seem to remember several different choices on the '78 booster/master cylinders, such as with or w/o cruise control, etc., etc. Make sure you have the right application, also.

thanks for the replies and you guys have kind of confirmed what I was fearing, So then is there a particular method to test the vacuum booster? I'm sure its the right part it matches the one that I took off of it assuming it had the right one on it...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1973/79 F100/350: There are TWENTY TWO different brake pedals, NINETEEN different master cylinders, SEVENTEEN different P/B boosters, SEVEN different clutch pedals, I kid you not!

Whatever booster is used, it has to match the brake pedal.

There's an ID number stamped on the brake pedal, post what it is.

WOW... thats something I would have never guessed that many different styles are out there.. I just had my shoulder reworked and once it gets healed up and I have more movement in it I will get that number posted.. Thank you.

1973/79 F100/350: There are TWENTY TWO different brake pedals, NINETEEN different master cylinders, SEVENTEEN different P/B boosters, SEVEN different clutch pedals, I kid you not!

Whatever booster is used, it has to match the brake pedal.

There's an ID number stamped on the brake pedal, post what it is.

WOW... thats something I would have never guessed that many different styles are out there.. I just had my shoulder reworked and once it gets healed up and I have more movement in it I will get that number posted.. Thank you.

One trick you can try ,is a mirror ,or take snap shots at the pedal
with a camera or phone!...:cooldude:

Well shoulders feeling great.. The weather is great... So i tore into the truck, Decided to tear the booster and master cylinder off again and check all the linkages and such. Well Needless to say I found the problem. The bolt in the bottom of the linkage on the out side of the firewall was rusted up and was the case of my problem.. So now on to the steering issues now that the brakes are back up and running!!!! Thanks for the idea's guys your the best!!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.

Ford Truck Articles