Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What's wrong with my carb?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Hey guys,

Maybe somebody could give me a clue as to what to do about my carb. It is a stock 2brl. I want to upgrade someday--but I don't want to spend the money on it yet.

Anyway. I had it rebuild back in September. It ran fine until October when the truck went in the garage to hibernate for most of the winter. I've had it out a couple of times for short hauls--this past weekend was the last time. She fired right up and I went and hauled a load of coal for a buddy of mine. Ran great for probably 10 miles or so with stops in between. After unloading the coal and climbing back in it began to hesitate. When I hit the gas it kind of "bucks". Coming to a stop I have to work the gas pedal to keep it alive. What's going on? I just had it rebuilt by a guy who is well known for being a good carb guy. I haven't taken it back to him yet.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I don't know if that's the carb Steve I had a problem allot like yours and it turned out to be fuel pump..
It could also be as simple as a stuck float, since you had it sitting for you couldh ave gotten some gumy gas in the bowls..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Kinda sounds like a choke problem to me. Have you noticed any leaks or smell excess gas? I know I've had problems with red before after storage, sometimes seals and gaskets get dried out and crack...actually happened last time I was home. As far as a fuel pump issue...it could be, but it's been my experience, that when a fuel pump goes, it's gone and pretty unlikely you'll get her going again.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Maybe a clogged fuel filter ive been goin through a ton of em lately might wanna check that and put in a new clear one to see what it looks like. Have ya filled up at a gas station after a tanker has been there?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Maybe a clogged fuel filter ive been goin through a ton of em lately might wanna check that and put in a new clear one to see what it looks like. Have ya filled up at a gas station after a tanker has been there?

Didn't even think about the easiest and cheapest avenue. I tell you, I have learned my lesson about filling up after tanker.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I did too at the cost of ten fuel filters. I finally got tired of it and filtered the gas into a gas can with a rag in a funnel two or three times. Wherever that gas hit on that rag there was a nice spot of rust.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Thanks for all the fast replys, guys.

I guess I assumed it was the carb beacuse that's where I had trouble before. It sure could be a clogged filter or something though too. I'll have to check that out. Right now the truck is back in the back of my parent's garage behind my dad's rigs, (her winter home) so I don't know when I'll pull it back out.

I hasn't really been sitting for REAL long at once. Maybe a month at a time. Is that long enough for the gas to go bad or to dry something out?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Didn't even think about the easiest and cheapest avenue. I tell you, I have learned my lesson about filling up after tanker.

When i was filling up my rig one time, and my truck had the tanks with the wide fill holes, every thing started fine nice and green and then Campbells thick and chunky soup, bugs dead grass all kinds of crap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Steve, a month really isn't long enough to allow gas to go bad, and nothing should really get dried out. Unless of course you run it a few hours, then let it sit for a month continuously. My bet would be that it's probably a fuel filter. Easy enough to check that...pull it off, and if you can easily blow through it it's clear...if not it's clogged.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Steve, a month really isn't long enough to allow gas to go bad, and nothing should really get dried out. Unless of course you run it a few hours, then let it sit for a month continuously. My bet would be that it's probably a fuel filter. Easy enough to check that...pull it off, and if you can easily blow through it it's clear...if not it's clogged.

I didn't think a month was long enought to mess those things up.

I'll start with filters first chance I get. Thanks guys!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I didn't think a month was long enought to mess those things up.

I'll start with filters first chance I get. Thanks guys!

Since you have the stock carb on...don't forget about the filter that's threaded right into the carb, then the obvious inline filter (if you have it), and I'd also suggest taking a look at the fuel line all the way back to your gas tank. The reason for this, is I've seen guys throw filters in somewhere along the frame.

Sounds like the time I let a little water dribble into the bowl vent when taking
the wet plastic bag off the carburetor after washing my engine.

The gasoline formed a clear jelly like stuff that couldn't be seen until I poured
the fuel out of the carburetor into a wide pan.

Ended up with a really cool Standard Motor Products coil tho, with threaded
terminals in the process of figuring that one out. ;) Meter said the coil was
fine but that doesn't prove anything when the problem is intermittent. :/

Intermittent between acting crazy and running great.
Pumping the throttle helped so....
Decided it had to be something in the carburetor I couldn't see with the lid
off and float out and "standing on my head" along the side of the road. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Alvin,

Yea, pumping the throttle helps (a little). I know nothing about carbs though. I need to learn!

Ben,

Where is that screw-in filter exactly?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben,

Where is that screw-in filter exactly?

As you're looking at your carb from the front, it should threaded in on the bottom left corner on the front. It'll have a brass like finish. However, it may no longer be there. I always threaded a nipple in and put on a clear in-line filter.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
As you're looking at your carb from the front, it should threaded in on the bottom left corner on the front. It'll have a brass like finish. However, it may no longer be there. I always threaded a nipple in and put on a clear in-line filter.

Oh, so you can ditch this filter and replace it with a clear in-line? Where can I find the nipple to install the in-line in this place then?

Again, sorry--I'm a total carb dummy.

Thanks for your help.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts