Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Under the hood.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Anyone have any tips or tricks on cleaning the engine bay. I usually just wipe it down to get the dirt and dust off of everything. I don't really want to be spraying any water in there with all the electrical stuff. Although you can tell it gets some spray from underneath when it's wet out. YelloThumbUp

Any suggestions?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I like to give it an even coat of this great stuff I found called "wet dirt". I like it cause it's usually really cheap and gets the engine all the way around!:rofl: :rofl:

I understand your dilemna, but a few moments placing plastic bags over sensors and other electronics, held with rubber bands, can make the job so much easier to do, WET. For the block/steering components I use "That Purple Stuff". works great. Here's a tip for all the "blackware" (cowls, covers, hoses and such) Use your favorite "foaming tire shine" on them... You'll be impressed! Just don't get it on any aluminum housings that are shiny. ruins the shine.

After you get finished doing the cleaning and degreasing, spray the entire engine compartment with WD-40 liberally. Try to keep it off of the painted surfaces....WD-40 won't harm the paint, but it gets it oily and difficult to get off without soap and water wash and rinse. Right after you spray the WD-40 all over, it will look like crap. Just wait about 30 minutes and it will look amazing. The only problem is it will attract dust. But since it is so quick and easy to do, just do it each time you wash the exterior and it will always look great. Thats the way I do it........The tire shine will also work the same way, but I like the look of the WD-40 better. The WD-40 looks more like just a natural clean, whereas the tire foam/tire shine is more glossy looking. Just my opinion

ACarbone624

I Love My Ford Truck!
I think Armor All or one of the other companies make an "Engine Detailer" that you spary over the engine compartment. I've seen it in the stores but I have never used it.

When I said keep it off of the painted surfaces, I meant keep it off of the exterior painted surfaces, not the painted surfaces under the hood. It will make the dull black under the hood look like new. Sorry for not clarifying that in the earlier post

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts