Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

O.K.. Body Question...

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
If a guy was to replace the complete bedsides, how much of it gets replaced? Is it just the outer skin? And has any body come up with a good way to repair the bed where it cracks by the tailgate? I know people have welded them only to have them crack again right next to the weld. In a perfect world I would love to just replace it, but around here highboy beds aren't easy to come by.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The only difference in highboy beds vs the rest is the mounting holes are narrower in the highboy beds. You can use any bed (except some camper special beds that have the spare tire in the passenger side), all you have to do is drill new holes.

AFA, the bedsides, you can either replace the entire bedside that includes the outer skin and inner skin as a complete piece, or just replace the outer skin. I have never done this though. It's much easier to find a good bed and probably cheaper. Just depends on how much is wrong with your bed. Many used beds in junkyards have at least some good repair panels.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
I had thought about that but was worried that the bolt holes would be close enough togeather that they my crack between holes.

Fellro

Staff member
There is a good couple inches between the holes, and cracking will not be an issue.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
Thanks guys! That will get me on my way much quicker. I know where one bed is at and can probably find more.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I drilled out my holes with a holesaw and then placed a piece of small pipe to use as a reinforcement so when I tighten down the bolts, the bed floor doesn't start to bend and later the bolts don't pull through the bed. I had the inside of the bed rhinolined so I'm hoping that the bolts I use will grab enough with an impact that they won't spin because I never made the "square" for the carriage bolts. Also, hopefully I measured right. 'smiliedoh'

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

BTW, nice find on the bed. That floor looks pretty straight.

Kelso. About 30 miles north of vancouver on I-5. Near longview. Why?smiliehijacked

I think NPD still has some NOS Ford bedside panels with inner and outer skin. I think they only have the LH side and are sold out of the RH side?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts