Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil presssure

I thinking of installing an oil pressure gauge. What is the oil psi for the 6.0Lj Thanks for the help. John

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I think it is in the 70's I would say minimum 100 PSI gauge. General rule of thumb on gauges, operating pressure should be in the middle of the span. That is where gauges are the most accurate, and coincidently calibrated most accurately.

75 psi is what I remember. So that would make Ryan correct, in the 70's.

That is higher then I thought, Thanks for the info

blacksnapon

Staff member
12 psi at 700 rpms----24 psi at 1200 rpms---- 45 psi at 1800 rpms. Straight out of the workshop manual.

Those are operating temps, though, right? Higher when cold?

Maybe I misunderstood the question. I thought he was asking about Max. psi to know how high the numbers on the guage should go to.

could be right... Somehow I thought he was asking what to look for after installation. In retrospect I have no idea WHY I thought that :rofl:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
My gauge is tapped on top of the oil filter cap. I read 10PSI at 700 RPM idle, 20psi at operating temp and 1200 RPM and 40-45 PSI at about 2000 RPM. When she's cold, as in winter temps, I've gotten as high as 95 PSI running 2000 RPM's.

Mine reads 60 to 70 Psi at startup, once warmed up it reads 45 on the highway. drops to 20 standing at idle...

OH, wait!!! That's my FreightShaker!!!

You Guys are great thanks for the infor. Now for the grauge.

Ford Truck Articles