Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

99 7.3 diesel wont start

It's been sitting for about a month and now wont start. I had thought it might have been the glow plugs so I changed them but still wont start I also have changed the glow plug relay but still nothing. My batteries are down but I charged them and used jumper cables but still didnt turn over. It will crank but wont fire. What else could be the problem? Thanks for the help!

blacksnapon

Staff member
It's been sitting for about a month and now wont start. I had thought it might have been the glow plugs so I changed them but still wont start I also have changed the glow plug relay but still nothing. My batteries are down but I charged them and used jumper cables but still didnt turn over. It will crank but wont fire. What else could be the problem? Thanks for the help!
Top front of the engine is a thin rectangular box. That is your high pressure oil reservoir. On the top of that is a plug. Remove that plug, and the oil level inside should be no more than 1" below the hole. If its lower, take an oil can and fill it, then see if it starts.

is your tach reading when you crank it over? could be CPS

does your dome light dim when you turn the key to on? if not you could have a burnt harness/plug and the GP's arent cycling

does it billow thick, white smoke? could be low HPOP oil

if its been sitting that long how is your fuel? if you live in a cold climate it could be gelled or even algaed!? drain the canister and pour some fresh diesel in.

regardless..... dump a bottle of diselkleen in your tank to help freshen it up.

-cutts-

Ford Truck Articles