Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 low engagement

I have been having problems with my 05 F-150 4x4/5.4 trying to shift into 4x4 low while driving. The l4x4 dash light comes on and then it starts to grind as if it trying to shift into gear. I taken it to the ford dealer twice and i am still having problems. The first time they re-programmed the Powertrain control module. (TSB revealed proplem) The next time 3 months later they replaced a cellenoid and a vacuum part. Any ideas why this continues to be a problem?
Thanks

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to the forum :wavey:

Now you say you're trying to shift into 4lo "while driving"?? You should always be stopped and in neutral before engaging 4x4 low range. Do you have the in-dash 4x4 switch or a manual shifter on the floor?

hmmmm, last i knew, 4lo wasnt a shift on the fly option, try stopping the vehicle and put it in nuetral before engaging 4lo.....

The truck is trying to engage into 4x4 low on its own. I'm not trying to shift into 4x4. That's my question? What could cause this to try and initiate on it's own? I'm no expert but have had Four wheel drive vehicles since 1985, and have never had this problem before.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Oh wow it's a manual tcase and it's doing that? I've never heard of such a thing... Does the shifter move when it does it?

Does the tcase engage in 4x4 correctly when you DO move the shifter yourself?

When I stop, I try to shift into 4x4 high. The light for 4x4 high does not come on and will not engage. Sometimes the problem will just stop on its own and will not bother again for a week or so. As long as the 4x4 low light is not on or flashing the truck will engage into 4x4 high.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sounds to me like you might have a problem in your tcase and/or shifter linkage. If you don't have an electronic tcase then I don't believe it's going to be an electronics issue (such as reflashing the PCM, like the dealer did).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts