Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power loss after oil change

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I have a friend that has a 05 F350. He just changed the oil today. after the oil change he said it is running bad and has no power. i told him that I would change the fuel filters. i think he has over 10k on them. What do you guys think. It was running fine before the oil change.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Kind of random, 05, i think there are 2 fuel filters, one right next to the oil filter and one on the frame, is it possible he loosened the wrong cap and didnt get it tight enough?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sounds like he may have used the wrong weight of oil... Doesnt the crankcase oil also drive the hydraulic injectors in those PSDs? I imagine that the wrong weight oil would really have a huge effect ESPECIALLY on those PSDs.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Chris beat me to it by a mile but it sounds like that oil is way too thick.

Ryan

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm gonna go off on a ledge here....But..... When I was working on diesels and we would change the fuel filters and if they are not been primed right all hell would break loose, black smoke no power any way the fuel filter got loosened? it just a sip of air is all it takes.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I'm gonna go off on a ledge here....But..... When I was working on diesels and we would change the fuel filters and if they are not been primed right all hell would break loose, black smoke no power any way the fuel filter got loosened? it just a sip of air is all it takes.

If memory serves me right, the 6.0 has a drop in cartridge style oil filter and fuel fitlers, there are 2 fuel filters one on the frame rail and one under the hood, with in 1ft of the oil filter...
Could be a simple mess up and got some air in the system?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Oil weight should not be the problems, pressure is pressure in a hydraulic system. FMC calls for 15W-40, 10W-30, 5W-40 depending temperatures seen.

Have him check that he use the OEM Racor oil filter, and that the cap and filter are properly seated. Also have him check and make sure All wire connections to senors are properly hooked up and tight. IIRC there are 3 sensors around the oil filter housing, he may have knocked one loose. Have him check oil level as well, to little or to much can cause problems.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You might ask him if he used Motorcraft (racor) oil filters. Some aftermarket filters aren't long enough, preventing the valve from closing fully. This will cause a loss of power. Some aftermarket companies provide their own cap as part of the replacement (see the post in this forum for details).

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
He did use an aftermarket oil filter. He was a victim of the oil cap deal. His employer had his oil changed last time. I think he needs to change his fuel filters.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would recomend puting a OEM filter in it and try again. Does the engine smoke at all when you get on it? It is possible the egr has decided to stick.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
He did use an aftermarket oil filter. He was a victim of the oil cap deal. His employer had his oil changed last time. I think he needs to change his fuel filters.

For the problemt to just start after an oil change.... and he did get an aftermarket oil filter (or oil filter & cap combo)... then I would bet this is his problem!!!

Get an OEM oil filter cap at your local Ford dealer and get yourself a Motorcraft oil filter at Walmart for $18.99 and try again.

Check the oil level on dipstick to make sure all is in the safe zone as well.

"Pop" the new oil filter into the cap, lube the O-ring and screw down into place.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I changed the fuel filters for him today. That fixed the problem. When I drained the filter it had quiet a bit of water in it. The primary filter had a lot of trash in it. And it wasn't recor filters. installed the correct filters and it runs great. (I had an extra set). He will purchase the correct oil cap tomorrow.

He now knows the importance of running the correct filters.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well I changed the fuel filters for him today. That fixed the problem. When I drained the filter it had quiet a bit of water in it. The primary filter had a lot of trash in it. And it wasn't recor filters. installed the correct filters and it runs great. (I had an extra set). He will purchase the correct oil cap tomorrow.

He now knows the importance of running the correct filters.
FYI.....Just for future use, the cap on the primary fuel filter (on the frame) is the same thing as the oil filter cap.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts