Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

428 carnage

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
These are the two thrown rods from my 428 not cj. They smacked the heads, tore a hole in the oil pan and cracked the block. The one rod end got crushed and the othe spun 90 degrees and then broke off completly. We think it was from a rod bolt either failin or comin loose.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
First nice avatar...
Ive seen it before just thought i would tell you it is awesome!

Second, engine carnage is SWEET, unless its your own motor... :(
I know all about that....
Any plans for a rebuild?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
This was from last year I have since put in a 390 and got the heads and crank checked out from the 428 and they are ok. I run the heads from it on the 390. Im gonna kepp the crank around for a 410 in the future some time. Thanks for the compliment on the avatar I found it on google.

How tight were you turning it?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah we think a rod bolt failed or come loose. It looked like it had some miles on it and more than one rebuild cause the block was .060 over.and the crank was .020 under. so it was a pretty hard used motor anyways. No more than 4000.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I was a little pissed and ashamed cause I had to get pulled home by dads old chevy. The good thing was that my truck bein so heavy sure gave that chevy a run for its money towin up hill to the house.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Crank is fine but was shaved down .020 so we got it re welded back to where it needs to be. Nothin come out of the block it just punched a hole in the pan and made a milkshake of coolant and oil. The old chevy was an 85 c20 with a 350 "heavy duty" motor. we sold it awhile back cause it we didnt need three trucks. It was a good old pickup even if it was a chevy and it only had 87000 miles on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts