Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Motorcraft Synthetic

Anybody see the Motorcraft Fully Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 Diesel oil? $39.95 for a 5 quart bottle. Right here in Upstate NY.... Kinda pricey. It would be nice if it was just a little more competitive. I'll bet it shows up in Walmart soon.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've personally never used it, but i've heard good things from guys in the auto parts store, when it comes to oil all I ever use is RP.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
The 6.0 shears oil verry bad because of the high pressure oil pump. I run Delo 15w 40 Dino oil. i change it @ 5000 miles. I have a log of my superduty every time I changed oil and fuel filters. I havent had the ex but about 5000 miles. I'll change the oil in it tomorrow. I have changed the fuel filters on the last oil change.

as I said above the 6.0 is verry sensitive to oil change.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I am sure the Motorcraft 5W-40 is good oil, but for the money, there are other oils that will perform just as well for less!!!

I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and pay $19.99/gallon at Walmart for their new CJ4 spec'd synthetic oil. Personally, Shell makes their own oils and bottles it accordingly.

Ford/Motorcraft has someone else make it for them and then adds their mark-up to it and sells it under their own lable for the same oil.

Personally, I like Shell/Rotella for the cost, availability and performance.

I am sure the Motorcraft 5W-40 is good oil, but for the money, there are other oils that will perform just as well for less!!!

I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 and pay $19.99/gallon at Walmart for their new CJ4 spec'd synthetic oil. Personally, Shell makes their own oils and bottles it accordingly.

Ford/Motorcraft has someone else make it for them and then adds their mark-up to it and sells it under their own lable for the same oil.

Personally, I like Shell/Rotella for the cost, availability and performance.

I agree. However if Walmart happens to start carrying it the price will almost certainly be less than what the dealer will sell it for. That is the only way I'd start using it. $8/quart! Not worth it.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Was reading on another forum that Shaffers(sp) oil products has a 5W-40 synthetic product that Blackstone is hwoing as maintaining its viscosity as a 40 weight oil (multiple people and multiple trucks)!!!

Have no idea of cost and there was discussion as to whether it is API certified... but interesting non the less.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts