Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Questions about converting to "heat only"

I run with scissors.

1979 F150 with factory A/C, wanting to convert to heat only.

Is the plastic "Y" piece of ductwork that goes from the dashboard (where it blows on the windshield) down to the heater box the same for an A/C truck and a heat only truck?

Is there any type of ductwork connector that I need to connect the heater box to the ductwork?

I already have the heater box assembly, metal dash with no vent holes, and plastic dash trim bezel with no vent hole.

So, the parts I still need are:

plastic "Y" ductwork that goes to the windshield (if different)
connector from heater box to ductwork (if required)
control panel with cables for in the dash

Anything else? I'm going to the junkyard today to get some parts.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I that to mine man, even in the hottest parts of the summer I just roll with the windows down.
All I did was take off that monster Detroit compressor and cut the ac lines going in to the blower box and thats all I did.

78Heaterbox2.jpg

ACsystemfor75exploded.jpg

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well if you want to a heater your going to have to keep the box, the only way I know how to dump the box and still have heat is to buy one of those aftermarket heaters that mount under the dash.

FTF'er

In the pic below, I'm getting rid of everything circled in red, and instead using the "heat only" box circled in blue. It all mounts under the dash and I'll have an almost smooth firewall under the hood.

1-11-09007.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts