Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

at a loss

last year my truck got a new motor and ran great for a little while. then one day i put it in park ad went into a house for a minute and when i got back it was dead and would not start. 6 hours later i got it to start and back home. it only dies in park, it runs around town fine, but wil not restart for a few hours. please help

blacksnapon

Staff member
last year my truck got a new motor and ran great for a little while. then one day i put it in park ad went into a house for a minute and when i got back it was dead and would not start. 6 hours later i got it to start and back home. it only dies in park, it runs around town fine, but wil not restart for a few hours. please help
Need a little more information. Size of engine, f150/f250, etc.

ameritaz3038

New York Chapter Leader
Need a little more information. Size of engine, f150/f250, etc.
from his profile i found this , hope it will help

76 f150 360ci

if it was like my 80 (back in the day) it sounds like the little module on the side of the dizzy , TFI( forgot what it is called)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

Hmm! well going on what you said it would be more then one, if it dies while idling that could be a bad Alt/bad maybe even fuel pump or wrong carb jetting may be flooding the carb that might be the reason for it not starting after it dies.
Its hard to really say can you give more info? dose it smoke when it starts dieing run rough? any thing.

alt, ign mod, distrib, plugs, wires, coil all new. no smoke on restart. when it dies in park, it acts like i turned the key off. i replaced everything listed above last year and now have some time to work o it and started today, but now i cant get a spark out of her.

blacksnapon

Staff member
alt, ign mod, distrib, plugs, wires, coil all new. no smoke on restart. when it dies in park, it acts like i turned the key off. i replaced everything listed above last year and now have some time to work o it and started today, but now i cant get a spark out of her.
I think this one will be cured with covering basics. For a complete circuit, you need a power source, and a ground. An intermittent connection will act like that. Check the small ground off the battery post, the engine ground, and check the one behind the kick panel on the dricer side.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts