Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Back to the 4low issues

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So I've been searching in net for ways to solve the 4low problem in the '96.

What I've found is that there's a couple sensors on the t-case that tell the computer (or whatever) that the drivelines are/aren't moving...

I've also read that they can be removed and cleaned to see if that'll help (they're magnetic I guess and they'll collect particles causing them not to work)...

Am I on the right track and if so are the sensors easy to get to to attempt this???

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
So I've been searching in net for ways to solve the 4low problem in the '96.

What I've found is that there's a couple sensors on the t-case that tell the computer (or whatever) that the drivelines are/aren't moving...

I've also read that they can be removed and cleaned to see if that'll help (they're magnetic I guess and they'll collect particles causing them not to work)...

Am I on the right track and if so are the sensors easy to get to to attempt this???

If the t-case has a auto mode yes there are sensors that watch front to rear wheel speeds, this will not help with your low issue. You need to get it scaned for codes not sure if yours uses a 4x4 module or Gem, that will put you in the right direction, guessing will start costing $$...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Well, I retract my post... I was playing with it in the campus parking lot before school and it started working just fine, my guess is that low had never been used since it was tested on the line and that it was a bit rusty (so to speak) from 13 years of non use...

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
And if you get real lucky, it'll get stuck in Lo while you're playing with it.smilietease Actually, I used to shift Barb's Suburban's into low once every few months just to make sure it kept working. Otherwise, I can't see much reason to actually ever use Lo range on a rig like that,

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
When I had my F350 I cycled through 2wd 4hi 4lo once a month because I had horror stories about parts getting frozen/rusted/knocked loose or whatever. Since I didin't have the mechanical know how to fix it if it was broke i figured it was worth a half hour of my time once a month.

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
And if you get real lucky, it'll get stuck in Lo while you're playing with it.smilietease Actually, I used to shift Barb's Suburban's into low once every few months just to make sure it kept working. Otherwise, I can't see much reason to actually ever use Lo range on a rig like that,
That's the one main reason right there, I'm OCD when it comes to making sure my vehicles are in propper mechanical order...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Otherwise, I can't see much reason to actually ever use Lo range on a rig like that,

I've always kinda wondered what (or if) people use low-range for on auto-trans, stock SUVs that aren't off-roaded hard.

I've used it quite a bit in stick-shift rigs just so I could go slower without slipping the clutch (backing trailers, etc.) but that's really a non-issue with an automatic.

Anyone?

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Eric- you were finished with it, right?)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I've always kinda wondered what (or if) people use low-range for on auto-trans, stock SUVs that aren't off-roaded hard.

I've used it quite a bit in stick-shift rigs just so I could go slower without slipping the clutch (backing trailers, etc.) but that's really a non-issue with an automatic.

Anyone?

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Eric- you were finished with it, right?)

Pulling a big-azz boat up a boat ramp is about the only thing I can think of. And truthfully, the Explorer wouldn't be my first choice as a tow rig anyways.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts