Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

"Romp" When Started

It hadn't been started in about a week. Cooler than normal weather, but by no means what would be considered cold (40deg). Cranking time was normal. No smoke from exhaust, ran normally after a few seconds. Less than 1000 miles on oil change (Rotella 15w/40). Last UOA was fine. About 10,000 on fuel filters, not quite 40,000 miles on the truck.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

blacksnapon

Staff member
It hadn't been started in about a week. Cooler than normal weather, but by no means what would be considered cold (40deg). Cranking time was normal. No smoke from exhaust, ran normally after a few seconds. Less than 1000 miles on oil change (Rotella 15w/40). Last UOA was fine. About 10,000 on fuel filters, not quite 40,000 miles on the truck.

Is this anything to be concerned about?
No, I wouldn't think so. The 6.0 historically doesn't do well with inactivity. Egr valves, vgt vanes, operating strategies, all are in a relearning mode (thus the romping you talked about). As long as it returns to normal operations it should be fine. Make sure you have the inductive heating reflash for optimal injector operations.

Thanks. Guess I'm a little paranoid.

Make sure you have the inductive heating reflash for optimal injector operations.

Since I don't hear the buzz, is it correct to assume that I already have the inductive heating reflash? The engine is an August 05 build, and the truck hasn't been to a dealer for anything but a transmission service.

Last edited:
Steve, I think the buzz flash came after your truck was built and the heat inductive superseded that. I know that was the case with my truck as it's a March '05 build. My truck has the latest flash and has yet to be plugged in this year and starts like a gasser even in the 12 degree weather we've had. That doesn't mean I never plug it in, that low temp kinda caught me by surprise.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Thanks. Guess I'm a little paranoid.

Since I don't hear the buzz, is it correct to assume that I already have the inductive heating reflash? The engine is an August 05 build, and the truck hasn't been to a dealer for anything but a transmission service.

No you will need to have it reflashed, tell the dealer it runs rough cold, there is a tsb for a reflash, and let me tell you it works, i've had trucks that would barley run, while still cold I reflashed them and restarted ran smooth. (as smooth as a diesel's gonna.)

Ford Truck Articles