Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new starter and flex plate still grinding

:headbang: installed a new flex plate and rebuilt the starter complete, engine and tranny mounts good, new solinoid, newer battery and cables. After about 2 dozen starts the starter will start grinding against the flexplate but will still start the engine. I then have to replace the starter drive, and it will be good for like I said about two dozen starts then... pete and repeat... I am at the headbanging stage now, help!!! :headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
:headbang: installed a new flex plate and rebuilt the starter complete, engine and tranny mounts good, new solinoid, newer battery and cables. After about 2 dozen starts the starter will start grinding against the flexplate but will still start the engine. I then have to replace the starter drive, and it will be good for like I said about two dozen starts then... pete and repeat... I am at the headbanging stage now, help!!! :headbang:
Unfortunately, reman starters have a tendency for this. Always keep an eye on the starter bolts. If they get a little loose, the grinding can start. Welcome to the site!

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'm not sure what kind of vehicle you're talking about and if it may require shimming. But that's some food for thought..

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
What kind of truck and what year of truck?
I've never had to shim any of my starters in my 79s and my 94 bronco...

grantpete

Pete Grant
I am having the same problem with my 81 smallblock. Mine only starts it once then gets stuck engaged after the truck starts. I cant figure it out eather. good luck

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts