Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford is really on to something

Ford is getting much better at making cars people want to buy and making them look good. This concept here is a Turbocharged gasoline engine with 47MPG. :D

9869_s60_1.jpg

9870_s60_2.jpg

9871_s60_3.jpg

DailyTech said:
Volvo says the S60 concept will be the first Volvo to use GTDi technology in 2009

In the car world, you can find vehicles that are sexy, vehicles that are fuel-efficient and vehicles that are very safe. The catch is that you seldom find all three of these things in the same vehicle and even less likely is to find all three of them in a Volvo.

Volvos may not be known for sexy looks traditionally, but the new S60 concept will change that in many minds. The car stands out for more than its pretty face though with the promise of low emissions and good fuel economy in a package that is safer for the driver and for pedestrians in the event of an accident.

The S60 concept uses a 1.6-liter gasoline engine that features Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDi). The S60 concept is the first Volvo vehicle to use GTDi and will be introduced in production Volvo models during 2009. Fuel in the GTDi engine is directly injected at high pressure into the combustion chamber.

The technology allows Volvo to create an engine that offers 20% lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. AutoBlogGreen says that the S60 concept will be good for 47 miles per gallon and Volvo says that the engine produces only 119g/km of carbon dioxide emissions.

Volvo VP of Powertrain Derek Crabb said in a statement, "GTDi technology is an important CO2-cutting technology for petrol engines. In the S60 Concept we have also added a number of other developments that further reduce fuel consumption. Several of these features will make their way into our production models in the coming year."

The S60 concept also has some other interesting features like a Powershift gearbox that uses two manual transmissions working in parallel that are regulated by separate clutches. Power steering in the car uses electric servo motor rather than hydraulic pumps. A special driving mode called DRIVe-Mode is features as well that reduces fuel consumption and a number of other select electrical and mechanical systems for ultimate economy.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
you know that actually looks pretty cool. it definitely is different and i think they are thinking in the right direction. i honestly think for should keep volvo and not sell it. they have been helping ford with safety amongst other things. it would be unwise for them to sell it in my eyes

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
OOOH OOOH I can see it now, suicide back......LAMBO Front!!! LOL

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Leave it to Chris...Says something jokingly and he could probly make a fortune off of it, if sold kits...YelloThumbUp

I actually like the idea, and doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. :nana:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
If he makes millions, we should get at least 10%, for telling him it was a good idea!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I am totally gonna do the gas tank lid idea!!! Aready doin some figurin'

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts