Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

foggy plastic headlight covers

That works good on lightly fogged headlights.... I have done many sets and have seen some so bad that I had to start with 400 grit!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Yup. Maguire's makes a headlight polish that works pretty well. I want to meet the fidiot that thought plastic headlight covers was a good idea (as opposed to glass).

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Never had luck with any that last. The salt slime make buffing them a weekly job.

Blade

Backwoods boy
another method is using an sos pad and warm water.... make sure its warm water though.. cleans it up right well

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I'll have to try something on the headlights of my 2000...I wonder how well that Mcguires stuff works.

Works great- do it about once a month, takes less than five minutes.

another method is using an sos pad and warm water.... make sure its warm water though.. cleans it up right well

Dang, I'd be careful with that. One trick I have learned for window glass, though, is use very fine steel wool after you've soaped up the windows. Get's all the road crud/bugs off that normal washing doesn't take away. Especially good after a day's mudding.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Yup. Maguire's makes a headlight polish that works pretty well. I want to meet the fidiot that thought plastic headlight covers was a good idea (as opposed to glass).
Plastic lenses are cheaper to make, more profit for the automakers.

Meguiars PlastX doesn't work anywhere near as well as the old standby-tube toothpaste, which I've been using on plastic for over 40 years.

I just did the lights on my Sentra the other day. After trying PlastX and other compounds on them it came down to them having to be sanded. The plastX did a good job on the yellowed lights on my 97 F150, but the Sentra wasnt yellowed, it was cloudy. I even tried toothpaste on the Sentras headlights, and it did do something that the other rubbing compounds didnt do, it got me a bunch of comments on how minty fresh my car smelled LOL.

00BlueOvalRanger

Old Fart Sharpshooter
Flitz!!!!!!!!!!! (And a cotton rag to put it on. . . . paper towels to take it off!)

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Be very careful using a buffer on plastic parts as buffers generate heat, and can burn thru plastic in a NY minute.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts