Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

LED brake, tail and turn signal bulbs???

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Where would I purchase direct replacement LED bulbs to replace my brake, turn and reverse bulbs on my '03 Excursion?

1) Do they make direct replacement LED bulbs to replace the OEM style?

2) Do I need to use a capasiter of some sort due to the voltage difference (saw on some sites)?

3) Can I use a clear LED behind the colored brake lens... because one site stated not to and to use the same color LED as the lens color?

4) Do LED's bulbs such as we all have now put off the same or more light versus the "complete light assembly's" I have seen advertised?

I am looking for a direct bulb for bulb replacement and not the entire assembly.

Can anyone offer some insight and websites to visit?

Thanks,

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks for the link.

Sorry to say, the bulbs that my truck takes are not listed as a having an LED equivalant.

Guess I am stuck with good ol' philiment bulbs.

Oh well... it was worth a shot.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
HI-po sells LED bulbs and they are pretty cheap to.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
What bulb do you need I have other links.

Taillight & Stop Light are the same bulb (3357LL) - "LL" is for longlife.

Backup light = 3156LL

Front Turn = 3157LL

Back Turn = 3357LL

Thanks,

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Guys, I'd be ready to order if you could help me with the same thing. Where would I find the bulb code for my 1994 F150? I would LOVE to do my brake lights and front turn signals if at all possible. It's for power consumption purposes more than anything.

Ryan

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Guys, I'd be ready to order if you could help me with the same thing. Where would I find the bulb code for my 1994 F150? I would LOVE to do my brake lights and front turn signals if at all possible. It's for power consumption purposes more than anything.

Ryan
I think this is what yours takes
park turn, stop
Bulb #:2457
Side marker
Bulb #:158

Tex your bulbs should be 1157 and 1156
side marker are 194 or a 168 they are both the same just brightness i think

Last edited:

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Man your a wealth of knowledge Randy. I have been looking for some time to do complete assembly replacements for my tail lights and some nicer headlights I just haven't come up with the $500 for everything yet...Damn civil serveant jobs!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Thanks. I know electrical and older models of trucks some of the newer diesels not so good one yet.
I haven't owned a diesel truck yet. The wife gives me crap because I disassemble everything I own just to check it out weather it needs it or not.
Plus I have a few of the auto parts stores catalogs on my computer

Fellro

Staff member
I'll have to look when I go to work later today. I know we offer some at Autozone. You can look up bulbs on our online as well to find out what your vehicle calls for.

Fellro

Staff member
That one was easy, almost all vehicles back then used 1157's for tail/brake and 194 for markers..
I checked, and we have 1157's, 194's and one that covers 3057-3457's. Those are on hand at any time.

Fellro

Staff member
Now we have to track between about 30 different numbers... I swear they do it just to be annoying.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I think I remember reading this a while back, but is the drop-in LED replacement of greater or equal brightness than the original bulb? Say I have a 100W driving light that uses an H3 bulb...will the drop in H3 LED replacement be just as bright or brighter?

Fellro

Staff member
I don't know on headlight replacement, but all the tail lights I have seen have been at least as bright.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts