Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Day of the trucks

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
I was serious of getting another truck. Another like mine. I knew about this truck for a year and kept thinking bout it from what other people who saw it said about it. I did manage to see it the same day we went to the Smooth Rock Falls truck drag. I was a bit disappointed seeing the truck did not have the trim package nor bumper guards, but it did have excellent metal, and power steering. The truck is a ’78 Ford F350 dually one ton with extended 161” wheelbase like mine. Has a 390 backed by a manual 4speed trans. Has power steering and many other parts which will be swapped with mine before being sold again. Trucks like this with the extended chassis are quite popular for ramp trucks or haulers. Truck has a fascinating history as a DSO unit for Kimberley-Clark of Longlac, On.

Was a bit difficult to find the home-owner and truck owner, Chuck. Chuck moved out of his now vacant home when Tembec closed Smooth Rock Falls mill. Chuck lived in Strickland, and moved out to a town west of Thunder Bay.

On Sept 17, 2007 I got the truck. Quite a day. We arrived at Chuck’s house sometime before 10am. After some time, we found the missing wheel. Bolted them on. Pulled the truck out to the corner of the path and treeline using my truck and a pull strap. Dad thought of using the towbar from there to the drivewa and home, however as luck would have it a the second attempt to match the truck hitch ball to the towbar tongue, my truck got stuck in a small puddle of mud. There was tons of tree banches and boards, even a huge rubber tube to pile down under the wheels for more traction. After the second atempt, the truck wasn't budging.

I had my scooter and drove beside the hwy to flag down a motorist who might have a cell phone. We didn't have a cell phone, no one was home at Chucks. Only dad, the dog and I. There I was on my scooter beside the hwy, waving both arms to passing motorists. I may aswell have been sitting at the entrance to*a provincial jailhouse or phychiatric house. No one stopped. Some simply waved by a friendly hello. Meanwhile dad kept his attempts to free the truck. I did see him pull out so I returned back to the truck.

Dad had enough. He was unbolting the towbar to*the front of the other truck. About that time, a neighbor came to check on the house and feed the cat. He noticed us and came to*the truck outback.

During one of the calls to Chuck he mentioned a trust-worthy neighbor who has a loader and can pull it to the truck to the driveway and I could give him the money. The truck was unstuck however there was atleast three bigger puddles of mud to* tackle. We would be closer, but stuck again, unless we agreed to let him get his loader. A couple mins later, the loader arrived and it didn't take him long to chain it to the truck and drag it to the driveway.

I wrote Chuck a check, in care of his trusted neighbor. Attached the towbar to both of my trucks. Attached the towlights and drove both home.

We arrived home about 9pm that night. All I ate and drank that day was a bowl of 'Special K'. There was lots of work to do all day, that hunger or thirst was the furthest from our minds.

Dad would probably beg to differ and tell you a complete other story.

Although the UVIP demonstrates this truck was ordered by Kimberly-Clark, I have no further explanation what was its purpose and usage at their mill. I have wrote to the company for further information on this truck. The response included is a blank.

This truck was purchased for parts to be swapped onto my ’79 Ford F350 former U-haul truck. Ford Had the same body style trucks from 1973 to 1979. Only the front grilles varied each year. The 1978 and 1979 truck were identical in grilles and the front bumpers were unique only in those two year production.

Notable characteristics of this truck when purchased is the exhaust and muffler was removed, there was no body behind the cab, the gas tank had no cover, the carb was missing, the interior had a replacement shifter boot, a pair of windshield wiper blades, a ’79 Ford truck manual and other supplied materials/documents. The ignition and door locks have been broken into. The two front wheels including tires aren’t original, they were replaced from an ‘80s ½ ton Chev. Truck that has the same hole pattern as a Ford dually truck.

The license plate as pictured was on the truck’s front bumper. Note that it was last registered till Jan ’00. The sticker behind that one was for Jan ’99. Ken Simpson died in 2004. The truck sat in the field behind his house since I purchased it. It is unknown what he used the truck for.

Tyl

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm that truck needs a lot O work man..

tylstruck

No, it was a low mileage truck, and the body was very good. I took what I needed and scrapped the rest.

Tyl

masterbeavis

California Chapter member
I dont see no 390 in that thing. Did you at least kiss that truck before you ended its life? Despite the dent, it looked pretty darn cherry, looked like a good candidate to put back on the road... I realize that all of them cannot be saved, however I hate seeing nice trucks getting scrapped out to fix junkers. (not saying yours is a junker, iv'e seen it alot more than I care to admit tho.)

[edit]

Did I just buy a set of '79 manuals off you via Ebay?

Last edited:

tylstruck

Anthony, I just emailed you, now am emailing you again here. Yes, tis I. Shop manuals gone.

I cried when I donated that '78 to my uncle. He's a shop teacher for a highschool back home. He was gonna strip it/destroy it. The hood was excellentr shape. Would have swapped mine for it, if I had the time. The seller told me the engine was a 390, but was a 351M with only 58,000 miles. Whole truck was soo good. Only a small light ding to the passenger fender. Rockers r grand. Even on my '79. A fellow from Texas tried to buy the glass/windows with seals, however the cost of shipping killed that deal. Still managed to removce small parts to send to other trucks.

I still have some parts for sale. Make me an offer. Daphne wants them gone, including the complete '79.

Tyl

masterbeavis

I thought there was some correlation between the name I seen on ebay, you email, and a website someplace...... I just couldnt place my finger on it.

As far as remnant parts, I dare not buy anything other than what I have already purchased, unless it was local, and cheap. What do you have left?

For some reason, on a whim on a thread on F T E, I mentioned that the '79 manuals were a grip of cash, and good luck getting them for cheap. It prompted me to go to ebay and look. Yours were the only set I seen, and it looked like they were going cheap. A last minute bid, and I stole them compared to what I seen them for in the past... I was going to post a GLOAT thread bragging on how cheap I got them.. I think the price has tanked because of the manual coming out on CD.

Hey, I had better get my stuff, I have the perfect forum to tell everyone how bad of a guy you are :D :D :D j/k :d

I know what you mean about having to give up stuff. I had to dump my backyard full of trucks when I had to move, and I did 99% of the moving all by myself.

toomanybig.jpg

Last edited:

tylstruck

Oh hahah, I suppose now that I have sent them, you can start gossiping all you want.

I haven't heard of shop manuals on cd. Call me old fashion, but I prefer flipping through a book than staring at a comp.

I have the race track trim upper and lower, a new black plastic dash pad, new pair of '79 bumper guards, set of 8 410 connecting rods, a 428 crankshaft, pair of new 12V round 4.5" flood lights, master parts cd, paikr of round '79 headlight doors, woodgrain glovebox door trim,horn pad and originall U-haul AM/FM with digital clock radio. Make me offer. Email me for pics; [email protected]

Tyl

masterbeavis

OOF, shipping would bring the suck. Some of that stuff is SOOO tempting to own... I bring the suck in the funding department.

tylstruck

This is Ford Country.

DSCF0300.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

This is the one of the '70s trucks I found here, and only found one '80s truck I fouund here. I am going home for Christmas on tuesday. I am brinmging my coveralls. Claude, the junkyard owner back there has some trucks to fiddle with.

Tyl

masterbeavis

It looks like Isuzu, VW, Dodge and Chevy land to me..

Texas nomad, here in Cali, short beds are expensive. I own one,(the baby blue one) and if I sell it, it will not be cheap. Reasonable offers will not be refused however :D I do have a decent bed available however, that will be sold for less than a million dollars!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts