Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Car dealership question

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Here's a question I have always wondered. Do dealerships own their inventory or is it on some kind of a lease deal or something from the manufacturer? Just curious.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Here's a question I have always wondered. Do dealerships own their inventory or is it on some kind of a lease deal or something from the manufacturer? Just curious.
A lot depends on the individual dealership. Some have the "Corporation" foot the bill, and they pay interest on everything, others use an independent "Floorplan", meaning, they have a separate lending institution handle the money.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Thanks Vince. Down here, we have some of the biggest RV lots in the country. It isn't uncommon to pass an RV dealer that has a hundred or so million dollar rigs on the lot. I bet that will make an owner sweat in this economy.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Each manufacturer is different. GM let's us "floor" the cars (finance) for free for 60 days. Then interest kicks in, but at a lower rate for the next 90 days. After that, it''s full-bore. Flooring rates are frightening right now- LIBOR plus 6.5, so that translates into about 9.75%. Yikes!!! It's killing a lot of dealers.

We don't floor with GMAC, so we take the flooring credits in cash and book it towards operating profit. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that fast-turn is a key to profitability, which is kind of my job- make sure we inventory only the fastest turning stock. That's why I chuckle over the "why don't they offer __________ (fill in the obscure powertrain/option combo)." Doesn't matter to me if they do or don't- if it doesn't turn quickly, I ain't stocking it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
That also explains why dealers stock only the most sought after combination's. Hopefully some people will begin to understand better now. Thanks.

Thanks Vince. Down here, we have some of the biggest RV lots in the country. It isn't uncommon to pass an RV dealer that has a hundred or so million dollar rigs on the lot. I bet that will make an owner sweat in this economy.

The big one in this town recently closed a couple of months ago, they had like huge rigs at a 70% discount. RVs are dumb purchases though, they depreciate more than pretty much anything else besides electronics....:rolling laugh:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts