Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351 ---> 408 stroker

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Ive finally made my descision that my next motor will be a gasser not a diesel, mainly because of the weight over front axle issue (diesel would meen i HAD to run a Dana 60 front which i cant find for under 2 grand around here)

So i want to find a 351w soon to start dissasembly and cleaning on in preperation for rebuilding it as a 408 stroker this summer. What year engine should i look for? I think i want to run the finished engine off carb to avoid computers, but would it be better to start with an EFI block?
I would like to find a complete running engine and go from there even though i know i would be replacing the carb, intake, headers, entire rotating assembly and possibly the heads...knowing i started with a running engine will hopefully make the project not seem so hopeless when im on month 3 with a dissasembled engine LOL

Can anyone recomend stroker kits of companies or a DIY style (make my own kit with brand X parts)?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you're replacing all those parts then the main part that you'll be reusing will be the block, lol. I was going to say use a 95 motor to get MAF + roller block w/o OBD2 but if you dont wanna run a computer then yeah i dont see it'll make much of a different which block you choose.

But hey... What do I know?! :D

Last edited:

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I just know some years are more desirable than others...i know in 460's you avoid 71/72 blocks, i dont know what the deal is for 351's

And i know it would be easier to just buy a block but a running engine is a security blanket type of thing. plus if i blow up the 302 i can always put the 351 back together and throw it in and find another donor block later

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
try to find a ( i believe ) 94+ roller block 351w

then do a MAF install..

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
MAF on a carb lol

Anyone have any advice on what brands/kits are the best quality/value?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
PAW has excellent prices and most times they'll beat competitor's prices.The older windsor family blocks are strong and would be more desirable for a high torque application like a stroker mod because the castings are more rigid.Remember, you can ALWAYS retrofit the older block to a roller system with just the roller parts...so then you got the sturdiness of the older castings with the smooth transition of power with the roller.Good Luck

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
They have kits were you can turn pretty much any block in to a roller block..
And for the money of doing a MAF you could get a Boss injection system I think they are a little more then a MAF system but they are much simpler and a little hassle free.

Fellro

Staff member
Scat is another brand, but from what I can find, they seem to be sticking to stroking 302's to 347. I found what dragogt already posted, looks to be a good way to go, not quite 400 unless you bore a bit more maybe.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts