Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Automatic Transmission Integrity

I am looking to install an automatic in my '66 F-250, with the 352 motor in it.

I also have the Dana 60 with 4.10's.

What are the pros and cons to to c-6,c-5,c-4, and the cruise-o-matic 3 speed?

Do they all share the same crossmember? And can I swap out the 2 piece driveshaft for a single shaft?

Any help would be appreciated..

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
First off welcome to FTF! :wavey:

As far as your questions, I wish I could help, but I know pretty much nothing about tranny's.

There are some members on here that I'm sure will know the answers to your questions though. YelloThumbUp

I really wish I could help, but I have no idea what will bolt up to a 352.

As far as I know..the C5 was in the bronco IIs behind a V6. Internallly, it is basically a pan fill C4. I have swapped parts around a lot on them.

Oh...welcome to the forum. I am sure some of the others will be along to assist you. We have some very knowledgable people around here.

However, this is a holiday weekend. I am not sure how many members will be around this weekend.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
AFAIK only the c6 will bolt up to your 352, and I see no problem with using one. As to your other questions, I can't really help but someone here will.

Fellro

Staff member
The C6 was the only one to have the proper bell for the FE's. They are a very stout trans for what they are, a 3 speed non-locking trans. It depends what you want out of them as to what they can deliver. They are available from both cars and trucks up until 76. Anything that had a 352, 360, 390, or 428 had the same bell housing. Trucks(2wd) used the same configuration as the cars did. Some 3/4 2wd and all 3/4 4wd used a short tailshaft housing with a bolt on yoke.

thanks for the info..

i found a supposedly original 352 / Cruise-o-matic setup from another '66..But I do not know if the c.o.m. had the same beefiness as the c6..

Anyone know if the c6 was even an option in '66?

Fellro

Staff member
A 64 Galaxie I had came with a C6 behind a 390, so it is totally possible.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts