Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Timing gears.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I was wondering what is better a timing chain or a gear drive.
I've heard very conflicting stories on them on side have said they last longer and are better then the old chain style and vise versa can some one clear this up for me...

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
For All street applications and most race applications a timing chain is a better choice. Gear drives are supposed to have a little more accurate cam timing and are stonger than chains, but the trade off is more noise and more shock loads transmitted from the crank to the valve train resulting in shortend engine life. Stay far away from dual idler gear drives as they are very noisy, have alot of gear slop and are overall junk.

If you want a gear drive the only ones worth considering are the single idler style, Milodon makes them and they start at about $500
www.milodon.com/#

The best bet for most applications is a nice roller chain. Chains are not quite as accurate with cam timing, and can break over time. However good roller chain sets are no more than $100 and do not transmit crank harmonics throughout the valve train. Cloyes makes nice timing chain sets.
www.cloyes.com

Another High performance option is a belt setup but these are very expensive, starting at about $1000. Jesel makes several.
www.jeselonline.com/v2/index.php?categoryid=22

Belt drives are more reliable than chains, are as accurate as gear drives and do not induce crank shock loading into the valve train. Belts must be changed at recommend service intervals.

So bottom line for most street & hot rod applications the roller chain is the best choice. For all out racing or unlimited budget hot rod then a nice belt drive setup.

From the reasearch I have been doing lately...he is dead on. I have never touched one of them myself.

There are only two options for the Y-block. Stock and roller. The rollers are a bit more expensive for the Y-block ($140+shipping), so if I indeed do need to replace mine....it will be stock ($80 no shipping).

It is not like mine will ever be hotrodded or modified...so....

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
well which is worse... stretched chains that skip teeth or pressed carbon fiber gear that can sheer off teeth? seen both happen and the gears in my ugly truck did exactly that on the way to work one day. i couldn't believe how brittle that was when i went to pull it out. i haven't had any problems with my 302 as far as timing chain goes so for right now i'd say i prefer the chain rather than gear lock.

JMO

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts