Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replaced rear wiper motor 3 times, whats wrong

I need ideas. I've replaced the rear wiper motor on my Wife's 1999 Explorer Limited three times in the last year. They never seem to work for more than 2-3 months. I have no idea why they stop working. Is there something I'm overlooking in the installation? They seem to go in very easy. No pushing, binding etc. I've been using remanufactured ones. Should I just bite the bullet and get a new Ford part?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Sounds like the way to go.
I've never owned a vehicle with them, and can't see them as something that would get used a lot. Seems funny that they would go out that fast.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Believe it or not, its controlled by the GEM module.You might have a code stored.

You guys are right about it not being used much. Mainly during the winter up here when there's a lot of slush/snow melt on the roads. Doesn't bug me much but the wife likes to see out the back. GEM Module? Not sure what that is. Does seem like it should last a lot longer though.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Mainly during the winter up here when there's a lot of slush/snow

I think you just answered the question yourself.

Not trying to place blame but trying to wipe off large amonts of snow and slush could be overloading the tiny motors. Come to some agreement with each other about wiping off the large accumulations by hand then using the wiper to keep it clear.

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
You guys are right about it not being used much. Mainly during the winter up here when there's a lot of slush/snow melt on the roads. Doesn't bug me much but the wife likes to see out the back. GEM Module? Not sure what that is. Does seem like it should last a lot longer though.

General Electronic Module (aka Body Control Computer) With a proper code reader stored codes can be retrieved to determine the cause of the problem.

Controls warning chimes/lamps, 1-touch drivers window, DRL, heated rear window, wipers & washer, Battery saver, remote keyless entry, illuminated entry, interior lights, anti-theft, 4WD etc.

Last edited:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
make sure that your liftgate glass ajar switch isnt hanging up. if the switch says the glass is open then the wiper wont work.

I'm having a similar problem. My rear wiper motor doesn't burn out, but it runs super slow. I've changed the blade several times and I've put the rain shield stuff on the glass and it still runs slow. It was alright until the Ford Dealership did the rear window recall work and it slowed down then. Not using it much, it took awhile for me to realize there was a problem. It's a bit late to take it back to them and complain.

Ford Truck Articles