Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

the odometer is fixed =(

Likeastone

Mrs. O'Rattlecan
Missouri
First general automotive thread started!!!! (heck any kind of automotive thread started)
So about a year ago my odometer just stopped working. I went to fill up my car one day and thought wow, 273 miles on a take is not good. So I reset the guage and noticed that it was still on 0000.00 after I had drived back to Rockhurst. The total miles part read 150,877. Well I am heading back to my place and notice it saying 150,898. I kind of liked knowing that I was getting O miles to the gallon (more like gallons to the mile) But yes, it just randomly started working again. I liked getting the free miles. Oh well.

Something else that happened was when my fan went out. The A/C and heater would work, but the fan would not go above low. Randomly, it started working too..

Any ideas?

Wierd.

(I will save the battery story for another day!)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Any ideas?

(I will save the battery story for another day!)

I wouldn't save the battery story.

Weird electrical gremlins usually aren't unrelated. (Your speedometer and odometer are probably completely electronic, though I am not positive of that.)

*Beyond fuses and relays, I'm wondering about the General Electric Module (GEM), but I don't know enough about those cars to do more than stab in the dark.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
No more free miles there, Missy.

Ryan

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
What year is your ZX2?
the heater sounds like the resistor is going out but that normally is just high speed for the fan when they go. the odometer not sure if it is cable driven or off the vss like the trucks or not.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Wish mine would stop working. 296,000.0 and still going.

Likeastone

Mrs. O'Rattlecan
Missouri
well i was going to save the battery story for chris's battery thread but i didnt get to it.

the story really is silly. i was having batter problems about 2 years ago. i had just upgraded the sound system in my car and so we had done a little work on the battery so we would not get zapped. i thought it may have had something to do with that. (the irrelevant part was that i would set the time on the stereo, and then the battery would go out. well the process to set the time consists of a lot of buttons in a specific order. It just got complicated. I would set the time, then my battery would go out, I would set the time, and the battery would go out again. It went on for four or five times.) My dad ended up switching a battery terminal. It was really corroded and coke was not doing the trick. My battery has not gone out since, and my clock still is three and a half hours off.

Since I have not set the clock...the battery has not gone dead. Silly I know, but I just dont remember how to set the clock!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
checked out my manuals for my 2000ZX2 and the odometer and speedometer both run off the VSS. So if the speedometer was working it is a mechanical error in the cluster.

Just read you post above. you had the radio and control plate off so I would guess you have a connector not making good contact to the heater switch.

Last edited:

Likeastone

Mrs. O'Rattlecan
Missouri
What year is your ZX2?
the heater sounds like the resistor is going out but that normally is just high speed for the fan when they go. the odometer not sure if it is cable driven or off the vss like the trucks or not.

it is a '98.

Strangely enough, everything that has gone out, starts working again.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Wish mine would stop working. 296,000.0 and still going.

Hell...at that point, I'd be getting excited for 4,000 miles from now. I was practically giddy when I took this picture and was pretty damn excited* to watch a friend's '95 PSD roll over 300k (with something like 15k in tow).

On re-reading your post, Erica- just the trip-meter cut out? The odometer and speedometer kept working normally? I'd almost bet on a faulty cluster if that's the case...

Likeastone

Mrs. O'Rattlecan
Missouri
the speedometer worked fine. it was the odometer and the trip-meter that quit working.

none of the three big things happened at the same time.

the battery and radio thing could very well have been linked but like i said i was having a problem with corrosion so it needed to be replaced.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts