Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dead Cylinder

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well i have been chasing a miss in my bronco and finally had a chance to ck compression in it. Well it has like 25psi, wtf. Checked a few other and they are 150psi. I put oil in it and rechecked and no diference. Usually if rings are bad wont it go up? I know the engine has massive carbon build up and maybe some is stuck around the valves or something, but its just cyl #2. Dont feel like pulling it apart. What are yall thinkin?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Well it looks like you are going to have to go in.

Try some seafoam first. If it's carbon then it should fix it.

If it's been leaking for a while it could have burned the valve.

The hardest part is getting to it. The repair is easy.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea I just seafoamed it, and i think she cleaned up alot. Then I was just beatin the piss out of it wheelin in my back yard and when I stopped, it was running real smooth. So I donno. Didnt feel like it was missing to me. Ill have to go run it in a few min and see.

Michigan
Il look up some info for you give me a few minutes.

Michigan
Ok..

A wet compression test is performed in the following manner:

1. Squirt one or two ounces of medium viscosity oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole

2. Turn the engine over several times: this will allow the oil to work its way around the rings.

3. Connect the compression gauge to the cylinder and conduct the compression test as described earlier for the dry test procedure

Guidelines for the wet compression test are as follows:

1. If the readings are now normal or very close to normal, either the rings, pistons, or cylinders need servicing

2. If the readings do not improve at all, the leakage is probably at the valves or head gasket

3. If the readings improve only slightly, the rings and valves should both be looked at carefully.

This is info i got out of my college text. Let me know if you need any more info.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ok..

A wet compression test is performed in the following manner:

1. Squirt one or two ounces of medium viscosity oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole

2. Turn the engine over several times: this will allow the oil to work its way around the rings.

3. Connect the compression gauge to the cylinder and conduct the compression test as described earlier for the dry test procedure

Guidelines for the wet compression test are as follows:

1. If the readings are now normal or very close to normal, either the rings, pistons, or cylinders need servicing

2. If the readings do not improve at all, the leakage is probably at the valves or head gasket

3. If the readings improve only slightly, the rings and valves should both be looked at carefully.

This is info i got out of my college text. Let me know if you need any more info.
Sounds to me like he tried that already. Good info to have though :)

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I was talking to Chris last night and yea I put some oil in and it didnt do anything. I just took it for a 20 mile mountain ride, and yea its alot better, i think im just going to seafoam it again. Im also going to change the trans fluid. I need to figure out my 4x4.

Michigan
check the compression one last time. I thought i would post that because it says what the symptoms are after the oil is squirted into the cylinder.

Just remember that if you are trying to clean the valves up Seafoam it when the engine is Hot!

You want that carbon as hot as possible so when that cool dense air/fuel/Seafoam mixture hits that carbon is breaks it up.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Na, didnt try that. I just put a head unit in it, the kid I got it from gave it to me and it had no harness. It just came today from hong kong and I wired it up. Nice will drown out rattles inside. But while I was at it, I pulled the plug and put some trans fluid down there. So its going to sit like that overnight.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts