Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No instrument background lts, running lights, fog lights, blown fuse

Hi!

We have a 2007 F350 CC 6.0L Diesel.

A few weeks ago, the instrument cluster background lights went out, along with the fog lights, and tail lights. Subsequently, we found fuse #17 blown. Even before replacing the fuse, when we activated the alarm system, all those lights would flash. Also the alarm system would make some funny noises.

Took it to the dealer cause the fuse kept blowing. They could not get it do it for them, so they deactivated the light sentinal on the lights switch to se what happened. everything was fine for about two weeks. Then it happened again.

Took it back to the dealer. Said possibly the alarm system (factory installed) so they separated the alarm system from the above mentioned lights and reconnected the light sentinal.

Everything was fine again for about two weeks. Then it happens again. Except this time there are no blown fuses. Does anybody have any ideas??

Also, on at least two occasions, I was using the power point plug to charge my camera batteries with a 12vDC charger. Could this be a factor? Is the power point receptacle connected in any way with these lights??

What about the gem module?

Thanks bunches,

Laura

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Laura,

Welcome to FTF :wavey:

Somehow your post got lost in the election shuffle.

Sounds like there is a short to ground, (either a bad spot in the wire insulation or a loose connection). There could be a loose connection or bare wire do to the alarm install.

The alarm system is a "dealer" installed feature. The alarm is Ford labeled (usually code alarm) installed by an aftermarket company the dealer contracts with. However since it was installed by the dealer it is covered by warranty.

The "gem module" (ECM, PCM) is not connected to the lighting circuit in the 07 and older SD trucks. (BTW that changed with the 08 SD).

The power point should not have any effect on the lights either. I do not have my wiring diagram laying in front of me but when i get back in i will look it up.

Also i will see if i can get a couple of the resident Ford techs to help you out.

Again Welcome.

blacksnapon

Staff member
fuse #17 is for the main light switch and the VSM (vehicle security module). I think I'd be looking carefully at how the dealer installed the alarm.

When the entry or alarm is activated, do the "running lights" normally illuminate or are they the Brighter Brake lights that shine ?

To me this sounds like an alarm installation problem and how the hookup to the harness from the headlight switch circuit was made

Fuses blowing means heavy draw or short circuit.

Thanks guys,

I am printing this out and taking it to the dealer. They have had it two days and haven't figured it out. Maybe this will prompt them a bit.

Laura

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The first thing I would have them do is remove the alarm system, They most likley taped into the parking lights some place possibly in the wrong place. If the fuse blows without the headlamp switch being on then i'd be looking into the Vehicle Security Module, or the wiring from the fuse panel to the headlamp switch and VSM. That fuse feeds the headlamp switch and VSM only as far as I can tell. If the fuse blows when the lights are turned on i'd be checking into the wiring and such after the headlamp switch. But the first thing that needs to be done is remove the alarm system.

At one point they did deactivate the alarm system and the lights still failed.

The truck went back a third time and they replaced the light sentinal switch and wiring harness to it. My husband drove the truck home, and the next morning when he went out, same problem.

We took it back a fourth time. The dealership replaced the vsm. My hubby drove the truck home, parked in the driveway, locked the doors/set alarm with the keyfob clicker. An hour later we came out, unlocked the truck, started it, no lights!!

The instrument lights, running lights and fog lights all flash when the alarm is set even tho they won't work in a normal mode.

The truck has been at the dealer for two weeks. They say they have installed fuses on "the other side of the system" isolating components (per Ford's tech hotline) and cannot get the truck lights to fail. They have not really fixed anything, yet want us to pick up the truck. The lights have failed three times on us at night and we have been pulled over by the police once trying to limp home after a failure.

My hubby is beside himself. He cannot stand the thought of driving and hav ing another failure, especially at night. We could really use some advice.

Thanks!

Laura

blacksnapon

Staff member
At one point they did deactivate the alarm system and the lights still failed.

The truck went back a third time and they replaced the light sentinal switch and wiring harness to it. My husband drove the truck home, and the next morning when he went out, same problem.

We took it back a fourth time. The dealership replaced the vsm. My hubby drove the truck home, parked in the driveway, locked the doors/set alarm with the keyfob clicker. An hour later we came out, unlocked the truck, started it, no lights!!

The instrument lights, running lights and fog lights all flash when the alarm is set even tho they won't work in a normal mode.

The truck has been at the dealer for two weeks. They say they have installed fuses on "the other side of the system" isolating components (per Ford's tech hotline) and cannot get the truck lights to fail. They have not really fixed anything, yet want us to pick up the truck. The lights have failed three times on us at night and we have been pulled over by the police once trying to limp home after a failure.

My hubby is beside himself. He cannot stand the thought of driving and hav ing another failure, especially at night. We could really use some advice.

Thanks!

Laura
It will be a "tracing wires issue". Many places use the blue crimp connectors to splice into existing wires. These have a tendency to cut the wires in two as well. Have them inspect where the splices have been made previously.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts