Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

c6 tranny ?

i have a 390 big block that im planning on building, does any c6 tranny fit it? i see some on craigslist saying they are small block c6 and ones that are out of 4x4 with a transfer case attatched. does the c6 fit both big and small blocks or are they different trannies? how about the ones out of the 4x4 does the transfer case just come off and its a regular c6? i know these are gonna be dumb questions to you guys but im still learning and dont have a lot of people to ask. thanks fellas

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yes a C6 will fit any FE or 385 series engine.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
There are 3 versions of the c-6. One has the Windsor style bellhousing, which is also sometimes called the small block pattern. That will not fit.

There is the 335/385 style bellhousing. That will not fit.

You need to find one with the FE style bellhousing. That is the only one that will bolt up.

Fellro

Staff member
T
You need to find one with the FE style bellhousing. That is the only one that will bolt up.

x2. The FE bell almost looks like a Chrysler bell, as it is round, not the flat top and angled sides that are common on the other app's C6 's have been on.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
A c-6 does not have overdrive. It's high gear is a 1:1 ratio. AODs were never made for the FE bellhousing bolt pattern. There may be a way of adapting one, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. You could get an overdrive unit, like Gear Vendors, that goes on the tailshaft of the c-6.

na OD isnt a big deal to me i was just afraid about cruisin around with a 3 spd and being at 4k rpm all the time never had a 3 spd before id prefer an auto just because i like muscle cars/trucks better when theyre auto just my wierd quirk i guess everyone ive asked says the c6 is a good strong tranny so i think ill go with it i just wanted to know more about them and other possible options now i have to find one in good condition from someone who would be interested in trading for my spare 390 or the 3 ford-o-matic trannies i have haha

The C6 is about as strong of an automatic as you will find (in stock form). IMHO, they do rob more HP than a C4. That is just my opinion. I have no facts to back that up.

I had (dads now) an 88 F-150 (4X4) that has a 351 EFI/C6. It is doing well to get 10 MPG on the highway. Around here...it is more like 8. :(

As far as bring at 4K all the time...the rear end gears have a lot to do with that even without OD.

i was told that a c4 doesnt bolt to a 390 was i mis lead ya i havent decided wut gearing to go with not really ready for that yet id assume 373 being the most popular also know about 353 i think for more freeway speeds

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts