Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Blown Out Spark Plugs

I understand that there have been problems with plugs blowing out of some motors...my two valve V10 is, I believe, on that list.

I haven't had any trouble with my 2005 E-350 in about 70,000 miles, but would like to know if there's anything I can do to help prevent a problem from happening.

Also, I hear that the 100,000 mile plug change is expensive, especially for the van. How much am I looking at to have the dealer do it?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
They wanted 300 for my bro's f150 so I could only guess but I'd say try and do it your self man..

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'll tell you right now it cost me a year and over 6 g's to get mine fixed....but I might have added some stuff while she was down! LOL

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I understand that there have been problems with plugs blowing out of some motors...my two valve V10 is, I believe, on that list.

I haven't had any trouble with my 2005 E-350 in about 70,000 miles, but would like to know if there's anything I can do to help prevent a problem from happening.

Also, I hear that the 100,000 mile plug change is expensive, especially for the van. How much am I looking at to have the dealer do it?
On a van, a plug change should be super easy right? You can remove that plastic piece in the center of the cab and have DIRECT access to all the plugs, or most of them at least. I WISH it were that easy with my pickup.

blacksnapon

Staff member

With ANYTHING that has aluminum heads, always remember, NEVER try to remove the plugs when the engine is hot. You'll bring out part, if not all of the threads if you do. Nothing on an E series is easy to do when it comes to the engine.

On all the mod motors I've worked on I always change the plugs cold and use a torque wrench when I tighten them, its working well for me so far with 105k on my 00 Crown Vic, 150k on my parents 97 F150 with the 4.6, and 100k on my 98 Mark VIII.

I have heard there are certain year modulars that were more prone to this.
Any truth to the rumor?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
My '02 5.4 never had an issue. the '01 5.4 i replaced it with did twice. not sayin anything but that was my experience.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
On a van, a plug change should be super easy right? You can remove that plastic piece in the center of the cab and have DIRECT access to all the plugs, or most of them at least. I WISH it were that easy with my pickup.

Not any easier. just like doing a truck but from the back, still a pain.!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
When my dad did the plugs on moms v10 a few years back he ended up strippin em out and he tried to helicoil em but it didnt work. It came down to either a new head or a crate motor for almost the same price. He got the crate motor and its been in there for 40,000 miles with no problems. It still runs even though the rest of that truck is totalled.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts