Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

99 Mustang -- Same rear axle as mine?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Got a guy who contacted me about the 3.55 gears I've got for the Ford 8.8.

He's asking me if the gears are compatible with his 99 Mustang... Does anyone know if they were still using the 8.8" rear axle in 99?

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I didn't know if the spline count would be the same on that 8.8 as mine...

Though I guess it wouldn't matter for a gear swap :rofl:

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The axle spline count wouldn't matter on just the r&p. The pinion spline is the same. I'm assuming it would work, but that is just an assumption.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A 99 Mustang GT should be a 28 spline 8.8" rear end provided it's not a cobra or higher. The V6 uses a 7.5" rear end. So provided it's a GT the ring and pinion should work provided he uses his same case and spiders. I may be wrong on all that but here are the sources I used.

http://forums.stangnet.com/743163-31-vs-28-spline-vs-7-5-vs-8-8-vs-9-a.html
http://www.ringpinion.com/PartCats....Mustang&Side=Rear&DiffID=28&DiffName=Ford 8.8

Hope that helps ya Skan.
Great info. I'll confirm with him that it's a GT. If it's a cobra then what rear end is he using?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
What would you guys ask for an used 8.8" ring and pinion set in PERFECT shape? Bout 100k miles on 'em and nothing to show for it. Factory gears, Ford logo stamped on em.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hahah, I asked him $70 since he's asking me to separate the whole set of 3.55 r&p + carriers for front and back.

He's free to negotiate from there :)

Cope&Dies

gab-d a snaks
your truck has the same rear as a mustang?! HA!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts