Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

sloppy steering gear?

my 77 f100 has too much play in steering. replaced all worn front end components,little better.figuring the gear is worn out.truck was originally 2wd converted to 4wd.i have 42'' swampers on it. any ideas on what gear to install or if its rebuildable? truck has 3oo straight 6, power steering.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Last edited:
Don't adjust the box unless it is the last resort.
Check every piece of steering linkage and even the rag joint for slop FIRST.

The adjustment screw is to be moved in small incruments and tested before the next one.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Don't adjust the box unless it is the last resort.
Check every piece of steering linkage and even the rag joint for slop FIRST.

The adjustment screw is to be moved in small incruments and tested before the next one.
Why should you only do that as a last resort? can one really mess some thing up, I ask because the streeing on my truck is sloppy and i've replaced every thing from the rag to the rods the only thing left is the steering shaft.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Why should you only do that as a last resort? can one really mess some thing up, I ask because the streeing on my truck is sloppy and i've replaced every thing from the rag to the rods the only thing left is the steering shaft.

Yes if you over tighten it the steering will bind, I only recomend minor adjustments at a time, then make sure the wheel will turn lock to lock without binding before driving.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts