Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 loosing coolant but not puking

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
My 04 6.0 is loosing coolant but isn't puking. I recently had it at the dealer where they changed out the flex pipe, reflashed to heat induction, changed out fan clutch because of a tsb, and pressure tested the coolant system. I mentioned the truck was loosing coolant and not puking. The dealer said everything tested ok but I had to add almost a gallon of water yesterday.

The oil cooler and egr cooler was replaced at 54000. It now has 88000.

blacksnapon

Staff member
look on top of the engine, under the turbo. The egr cooler hose is under the pedestal, they have been known to leak. Usually, the coolant will be coming off the rear of the engine if that hose was leaking.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
done several water pumps on the early models for coolant leaks out the weep hole on the pump. pressure test it cold and hot. pumps are under the 100k.

Bruteforcerider

ASE master, Ford Senior Master, Diesel and hybrid
ohio
Check the egr cooler hose as stated, although it should have been replaced with the cooler. If the truck is chipped, head gaskets and cooler can fail again quickly to do overboost and higher exhaust temps.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
It never has had head gaskets. EGR and oil cooler has been replaced. I am running a sct but on economy setting. Most of my driving is on the interstate.

Thanks for the info I will get out here and check it out.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Not yet. I have checked all over the engine. I havent found any leaks. I checked it earlier and the degass bottle is empty. I will fill it up before I go home tomorrow. It will be about a 220 mile trip. It just has me puzzled because it isn't puking.

Could it be the egr cooler?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I really don't know what the dealer did. If they really did pressure test it.

I have heard of the baloon test. What is this and how do you perform it?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I got home today. Stopped to fill the truck up. I checked the degass bottle and I cant see the coolant. I did see evidence of puking. I will fill up the degass bottle tomorrow and see how much it takes.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I got home today. Stopped to fill the truck up. I checked the degass bottle and I cant see the coolant. I did see evidence of puking. I will fill up the degass bottle tomorrow and see how much it takes.
The procedure for "coolant loss" unfortunately is quite involved. Pressure testing degas bottle, cap, egr cooler, and oil cooler. Only then can you move on to head gaskets. If you bring it to the dealer, be prepared for a wait.

Kep4

Jäger
Hey Robert, did you ever get your truck to the dealer and have it checked out?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
It is going in the shop Monday. The tech is pretty sure that it is the head gaskets. I have already bought the arp studs. They are going to make sure that my truck is fixed right.

fordf150_79

Ford Senior Master Tech
smiliepeelout smiliepeelout there is a tsb to check it out need to get the truck up to temp drive and see if you here a hissing noise under a load will tell. Watch for white smoke. If no white smoke from tail pipe. Check under the hood and look at degass bottle see if wet. If it is you have headgaskets. The problem is head bolts strech. Need head studs. If doesn't fix it reply

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well i checked on my truck yesterday. they were installing the heads. They had to shave both heads for flatness, replaced #8 injector, changed nozzels, orings, and copper washers on the other 7, and they are going to replace the egr cooler. I decided to leave the cooler stock untill I upgrade the turbo.

I will have my truck back by Tuesday. I got all of my info from the tech and not the service writer. Well maybe with the studs in i won't have to worry about this again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts