Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight Axle

Michigan
If someone was to put a straight axle under their bronco that had TTB, what axle would you go with for the rear. A 9 inch or gear and locker the 8.8..

I would personally go with a locker 8.8 but thats me...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The 8.8 will hold up of beefed up . So locker it.

But the 9" is stronger. And we know u use your truck smilietease

I read of a trans or transfer case that had plug for the spped sensor .GUYS!!

Cant remember if 2x4 or 4x4 . But the lack of speedo would get old after while . Have yet to read (and would like to know) Of a reliable sensor replacement . That likes mud!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Tonys got a trick setup where he rigged a speed sensor in from a ford car or van or somethin. Works great with his 9 inch rear.

No doubt that the 9 inch is a stronger axle. But the question is, what do you plan on doin with the truck after the axle swap?

Michigan
Well if i went with a 9 inch i wouldnt even have my rear ABS plugged in because my ABS dont work period on the truck, and i dont really want it.

Im just runnin this stuff through my head, id much rather keep the 8.8 in it, re gear, and put lockers both front and rear.

Using the truck for a DD and hunting truck. Id much rather lift a truck with a straight axle then deal with the TTB squat up front with 35's. No thanks

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
9 inches are decently plentifull and parts are cheaper(even cheaper then 8.8's) so drop tony a message..course he won't get back to ya for a few days...the "ladies" in Vegas are gonna keep him busy for a while.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The RABS sensor doubles as a vss so you can't just delete the sensor and call it a day. Aside from giving a signal to the speedo, the computer and especially the your electronic transmission.

And you shouldn't have any problems lifting the ttb as long as you use all the proper components, namely pivot arm drop brackets.

Michigan
Ugh, so then if i go with a 9 inch then i got more of a headache than probably what its worth. So im not changing anything out back but gears and lockers.

Ive seen lifted TTB's with 35's with all the right drop brackets and those things saaag /-\ If you go onto fullsizebronco ive seen some pretty nasty stuff lol. And a 1500 dollar lift kit is hard to swollow.

Michigan
High lifts and big tires kill ttb's fast... Anywho... At least i got my question answered about the 9 inch. Id stick with the 8.8

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I would do a 9" from the same truck as the D44 if possible.
8.8 brings the suck locked unless you like replacing shafts after every wheeling trip not to mention the wear on your front axle having to drive home in 4wd...

I would do a 9" from the same truck as the D44 if possible.
8.8 brings the suck locked unless you like replacing shafts after every wheeling trip not to mention the wear on your front axle having to drive home in 4wd...

Dana 44s rock. We have them in our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Overland 4.7L HO V8 + Quadra-Drive) ... beastly axles. :guns:

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
High lifts and big tires kill ttb's fast... Anywho... At least i got my question answered about the 9 inch. Id stick with the 8.8

Its called an alignment.....

and when did 6" become big?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Dana 44s rock. We have them in our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Overland 4.7L HO V8 + Quadra-Drive) ... beastly axles. :guns:

Still a bit weak with stock shafts for full sized trucks, mine will be built with chromoly internals

Its called an alignment.....

and when did 6" become big?

My dad has his front end rebuilt about every 10 years, he just had it done last Jan. and it handles good. This is with 31"x10.5 15s... :guns:

Michigan
Im just saying from what help have been saying about the TTB. I had a dana 44, and a 9 inch in my 79 bronco with 35's Stock gears that had alot of miles on them, i wheeled the hell out of that truck and never broke an axle shaft.

Had many people come up to me and ask how many axles ive broke and i just say what the heck are ya'll talking about???

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
D44 TTB and D44 straight share same internals

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
smiliehijacked Let's review for a moment:

A 2x4 is a piece of wood. You buy 2x4's at Home Depot.

A two wheel drive is 4x2!!!

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Didn't mean to pick on ya, lost, just wanna set that straight.

I know 2x4's

But you better call my local Ford dealer they have 6 on lot advertised on TV as 2x4 ranger .

just puttin in my 2 cents here, I've beat my locked 8.8 for a while now and it's doin good so far. The T-case VSS adapter is cool but $300? no.

If you do a TTB lift right and align it correctly it will give you years of worry-free performance.

Even the good TTB lifts are much cheaper than $1500, a SAS done right will be over $3000.

Sure the D44 in the Jeep listed above is strong...for a jeep! Any idea the weight difference? These pigs are heavy!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts