Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Timing question..

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Just would like to know if some one could clear this yup for me.
I was told the stock timing for my 79 460 4bbl is 12BTDC my book says 8btdc I talked to a Mechanic at a party about a month ago and he said 10btdc......
Any help clearing this yup..
Oh and the 8btdc is specs off a 81 460 according to my book...
Thanks a ton:)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I think the engine specs from 78-86 are all the same... If your 81 manual says 8 btc then I'm putting my money on that one, but don't quote me :p

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Also I know this sounds like a newbish question but the timing marks have all ways been a mystery to me.
my 460 looks like this
PA010025.jpg
so where would 8 be...
No ones ever really showed me before.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You sure you're reading that correctly? The scale has to be uniform all the way across, just in principle... Should be something more like this:

ATDC 20 | | 10 | | 0 | | 10 | | 20 | | 30 BTDC
-----------------8 BTC--^

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Oh I didn't see the picture before.

Yeah you're going to want to mark the 4th bar to the right of the TC mark; that is, the very last bar before you hit the rightmost 10* mark. Make sense?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ok well I think some thing is up with my timing I put on my timing mark and hooked up my light and according to my light my timing mark is no where to be found.When I installed the new HEI I was very careful to keep every thing lined up. I wonder if when the previous owner rebuilt the engine they installed a cam thar changed the fire order but I thought it only changed the 5,7 cylinders? I clipped the timing light to all the plug wires and could not get the mark to line up with the pointer on the block.... My timing mark is staying around the 5 to 7 o clock area if your looking at the truck head on.. Any ideas what this might be? should I try to set the timing back the hard way by getting the No1 cylinder at TDC and then reinstall my distributor pointing to it? I forgot to tell but the truck is running just runnning really bad..

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ok well I think some thing is up with my timing I put on my timing mark and hooked up my light and according to my light my timing mark is no where to be found.When I installed the new HEI I was very careful to keep every thing lined up. I wonder if when the previous owner rebuilt the engine they installed a cam thar changed the fire order but I thought it only changed the 5,7 cylinders? I clipped the timing light to all the plug wires and could not get the mark to line up with the pointer on the block.... My timing mark is staying around the 5 to 7 o clock area if your looking at the truck head on.. Any ideas what this might be? should I try to set the timing back the hard way by getting the No1 cylinder at TDC and then reinstall my distributor pointing to it? I forgot to tell but the truck is running just runnning really bad..
Yeah it sounds like your dist might be off a few teeth. I'd do exactly what you said, pull her out and realign the old fashioned way.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts