Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

n00b lookin4 caliper help '74 F-100

Hi all.

I recently acquired a '74 F-100 2WD that's been sitting in a barn for 15yrs, got it runnin' n drivin' but it needs brakes.

My issue is the calipers in the front-
from what I can tell a single retaining bolt is removed, then a key thingy is hammered out enabling the caliper to be removed, am I right so far?

When I tried to remove the retaining bolt they snapped off both calipers.
It seems only the head of the bolt is holding the key thingy, and I should at least be able to hammer it out but the keys and/or calipers are hopelessly rusted to the brackets.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? do I hafta drill out those bolts to get everything loose?
Or do I have it all wrong and theres other bolts/brackets or whatever I gotta deal with that I don't know about?

This is my 1st Ford truck and I've never seen calipers set up like this.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to shed some light for me:)

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You should be able to beat the retaining clips out, them drill and retap for a new bolt. Try soaking it with penetrating oil and then have at it.

Welcome to FTF!

Yes we do know what you mean.

Just hammer the keeper out and then once clear drill out the bolt from the calipers mount.

disc_brakes_install_2.JPG

disc_brakes_install.JPG

Last edited:
Thanx4 the welcome!

Yah I've got them drownt in PB blaster and been hammerin' to the piont where the ends are mushrooming and they aint budgin!!

But I'm glad to see I'm on the right track.

Nice illustrations there thats exactly what I got, muchas thanxius!

Think I may have to get like a die grinder or somethin and cutting the calipers (and my core deposit) to pieces?

I gotta leave for work soon, curse the afternoon shift, but I'll try some more beating in the morn.

thx again and any more advice is totallly appreciated

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Wellcome and good luck . Been there my self few times. OK several times.

Try heating the bolt up first with a propane torch, until it is red hot.

D

Sheesh y'all were not kidding I hadda beat the crap outta them things to get them out! I ran a hacksaw in between the key and caliper to loosen it a bit, what a chore!

I'm so happy, new calipers and a master cylinder woo hoo!

I still hafta drill out those broke off retaining bolts, one side will be easy enuff, but the other now has a snapped easy out stuck in it, D'OH!!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Not fun atall...I did that in a head of mine and had to send it to the machine shop to get it out.Nevertheless...invest in really really good drillbits and use plenty of cutting lube.get some pics up of the truck too and welcome to the site.

Just make sure anti-seize compound goes on the threads of the new ones.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts