Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

AC Compressor Replacement

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am trying to replace my AC compressor on my 2001 F250 4Wheel Drive vehicle. I can remove 2 of the three bolts securing the compressor to the vehicle utilizing a 10mm socket. However the third bolt, which is closest to the rear of the vehicle must require some type of special socket or wrench. I cannot get my 10mm socket to fit on the head of the bolt. There seems to be some type of interference from part of the compressor body. Would a thin wall socket be the solution. You have to access the head of the bolt through the cutout in the frame. Just when you think it will be easy and you have everything apart and all your tools laid out you run into this. Go figure.:guns:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am trying to replace my AC compressor on my 2001 F250 4Wheel Drive vehicle. I can remove 2 of the three bolts securing the compressor to the vehicle utilizing a 10mm socket. However the third bolt, which is closest to the rear of the vehicle must require some type of special socket or wrench. I cannot get my 10mm socket to fit on the head of the bolt. There seems to be some type of interference from part of the compressor body. Would a thin wall socket be the solution. You have to access the head of the bolt through the cutout in the frame. Just when you think it will be easy and you have everything apart and all your tools laid out you run into this. Go figure.:guns:
What size motor? Check and verify that theres no dirt or debris around the bolt head. A lot of them, the rear bolt will have to remain in the compressor body until its moved enough to allow the bolt removal.

Thanks for the info. I don't think dirt is an issue. Removal is not the problem, my problem is loosening the bolt due to interference. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and what the special tool might be to loosen the bolt for removal. Engine size is 5.4L

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts