Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How do you balance a tire?

I have a Hoffman Computer tire balancer that works great for off car balancing.

But what I need to know is that I have acquired a Hunter Tune-In Balancer and tire spinner. I have no idea how to use the Tune-In Balancer or a strobe balancer. I have seen a Strobe balancer used once back in 1968 but I do not recall ever seeing a Tune-In Balancer used. The Tune-In balancer is from about 1955.
I have read that Tune-In or a Strobe Balancer works a lot better than a Computer balancer for getting it right.

If any body could explain how in detail how to use one of these two Balancers or email scans of the manuals to me it would much appreciated.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong Forum but I could not see one to put this Thread into.

Email:
[email protected]

Thanks
Bill K

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Here are a couple of manuals on ebay

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...tle=Hunter+Tune-In+Wheel+Balancer+&category0=

Couple of links to Hunter
www.hunter.com/pub/company/news/highlight/2005/vol111/vol111.pdf

www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm?gclid=CJnd87_dvZUCFQJNagodzSJUPg

In there day the advantage to balancing the wheel assembly on the vehicle was that it also acounted for irregularities in the hub, brake drum, axle spindle, eccentricity etc. The disadvantage is that if you rotate the wheels, turn the brake drums/rotors or replace parts etc you must rebalance each time.

Today you are much better off with the off car "road force" type balancers such as the Hunter GSP9700. And then if you want you can add "Centramatic" balancers to take car of axle, hub, drum/rotor etc.

www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm
www.centramatic.com/balancer.html

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
blackhat620
Thanks for your trouble but I had already seen those.

I only paid $5.00 for the tire spinner, tune-in thing that goes on the wheel, and a lot of weights.
I just wanted the tire spinner to spin up tires to see if there is any vibration on that wheel and not to balance it. But I was curious as to how it worked after looking at it but not $12.00 worth.

But I thought that maybe someone on here knew how they worked and would explain it. I guess no one here has ever used one.
I know the strobe just flashes when the heavy part of the wheel is down from an vibration sensor touching the lower "A" arm and that freezes the tire in place so you can see where to put the weight at the top. The tune-in part tells how much weight to put on but I do not know how to operate that part. I do not have the strobe anyway.
Thanks again.

Bill K

The tune-in part:

HunterTune-In.jpg

/

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts