Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bronco pulling truck?

Michigan
Hey all.

My pops is buying a 1970 something F100 with a 460 in it tomorrow and this winter we are making it a pulling truck.

Well After we get done building that i want to make one of my own. Of course i love broncos, and i had my old 79 that i went to pull it, got in the gates, ready to go and they said the top has to be off or i cant pull it.

I know id much rather have the top there in case the chain breaks. Not like its a long chain or anything and it shouldnt come loose.

But has anyone ever seen a bronco pull? Im thinkin of getting on thats a 80-86 style bronco, big block, no lift, no suspension and 8 lug axles.. I can skoop a blown up bronco with minimal rust for less than a grand. :)

Michigan
Truck pulling is what i mean. Its getting pretty popular around here and theres money to be made lol

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
i don't see why it wouldn't work and it would be a cool project and totally unique.

I agree it would be a first for me to see, and i have been to quite a few truck pulls!! And the shorter wheel base should give you an advantage as far as traction goes....!!??

Fellro

Staff member
Shorter wheel base actually is a disadvantage. think leverage about the rear axle, when you pull hard, the back squats, and with enough torque, the front lifts, a longer lever is better when you look at the weight hanging at the end. That is why pickups are the norm, they put more weight further out to keep the nose down...

Michigan
Yes true, pulling trucks are long. But with my pulling bronco it wouldnt have any springs in the rear at all, and a big water tank up front.

Fellro

Staff member
The more weight you have, the tougher class you get into. The trick is to be as light as you can, and have the best setup. As hort wheel base is going to leave you at a disadvantage no matter what. I'm sure you have seen the extended weight boxes out front... they already have the leverage working for them, and then have that sticking out front even further... But hey, if you want to go for it, just be aware that you are starting out behind...
Oh, on the chain, it isn't long enough to be an issue, they already know about that problem, it is short, and up to it. In all my years, never seen or heard of one breaking. If it was a normal log chain, then you should be concerned.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Two words. Centurian Bronco.

Pssh. I figured Chris or Mike (MSB71) would have come up with that! :D

Fellro

Staff member
If you can beat the rules, there's your answer, a stretch Bronco...

Michigan
a C350 with a cummins, 5 speed. Hmmm got me thinkin now :)

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Normal Bronco's are too light

A C350 would be an excellent choice for a pull truck because of the combo of Powerstroke Diesel (no Cummins unless you swap) and a Sterling 10.25/Dana 60 combo.

Michigan
Yea i know they dont come with cummins. But i plan on swapping one in. Powerstrokes dont do well pulling around these parts....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The only caveat to using a C350 instead of a regular pickup is that you're going to pay a PREMIUM for that body and chassis... Those C350s go for substantially more than a pickup with similar specs.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts