Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EGT Temps

Michigan
Ok 6.0 Errrs.

My boss has a 05 250 With a 6.0. He has guages, 4 inch exhaust and a airaid air box. Had a tuner but desided it wasnt worth it after he had to have his trans rebuilt (Torqueshift) How do you do that? Umm two turbos (One of em blew the hood right off the hinges while towing his 5th wheel) Egr is unplugs and what not.

But my question is, when chipped, how hot do these 6.0's get?

I drove it up town a couple of days ago and at 55 mph it was damn near 900 degrees, I got on it and almost hit 1200. No chip.

My dad has a 7.3L and its about 7-800 degrees while cruising 55 with the chip off, and barley gets over a grand when on it. Chip on and thats all a different story but i shut her down when i reach about 1200.

Can the 6.0's handle that much more heat? And i figured out why those 6.0's get around town better than the 7.3's, thats because of the 6 psi boost at 55 when in my dads truck its at 1 or 0 psi. Crazy stuff. But these are just thoughts i have in my head and im wondering if anyone can help me out. Thanks

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
EGT temps are dependent on the specific tune, engine load, ambient temperature and right foot. Some high performance tunes can actually lower the EGT over stock.

As far as safe EGT temps, you can run 1250 pre-turbo on any diesel all day long and will not hurt a thing. You can hit 1500 on most for 2-3 minutes with no problem and in the quarter mile you can hit 1900 without damage.

Long before high EGT will cause a problem you will have high EOT and ECT. The turbo charger is the least of your problems with high engine temps. In the 6.0 the aluminum pistons will fail long before the turbo from excess heat.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Yep... I was going to state the same but Vince beat me to it.

Ya, right...smiliestirthepot like I know such technical stuff... but it sounds good.

p.s. - believe what he wrote above... we all do!!!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
As far as safe EGT temps, you can run 1250 pre-turbo on any diesel all day long and will not hurt a thing. You can hit 1500 on most for 2-3 minutes with no problem and in the quarter mile you can hit 1900 without damage.
Um, yeah, should I go here? Look for a thread about 6.0L Carnage. :) It'll show you what happens when you run over 2000 at the strip a few times.

Todd - aka. The guy with 2006 truck running a 2004 6.0L aka. Blown 6.0L smilietease

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
I drove one of my dads friends 6.0 powerstrokes this weekend, and it had the Banks power PDA with the 6 level deal...well I turned it on level 6 and after I held it to the floor (up until almost 100MPH) I saw 1500 but that was as hot as it ever got no matter what i did!!

**BTW that truck was FAST AS HECK** and yes i was by myself :rofl:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I drove one of my dads friends 6.0 powerstrokes this weekend, and it had the Banks power PDA with the 6 level deal...well I turned it on level 6 and after I held it to the floor (up until almost 100MPH) I saw 1500 but that was as hot as it ever got no matter what i did!!

**BTW that truck was FAST AS HECK** and yes i was by myself :rofl:
Dang, you thought THAT was fast. Pfft!

Edge Juice with platinum on my 06 6.0, stock exhaust and stock intake and I run it on 5 all the time and see temps of 1200+ every time my foot is in it.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Edge Juice with platinum on my 06 6.0, stock exhaust and stock intake and I run it on 5 all the time and see temps of 1200+ every time my foot is in it.
Becareful of the Edge Platinum. It's known for taking out the transmission. I got rid of mine when I started having some odd transmission issues and switched to a custom programmed SCT and haven't had a problem since. Well, not one with the tranny or caused by the programmer. The only issue was with the idiot behind the wheel and the chosen supporting mods. :) Thought I'd throw that in before the others.

Michigan
The only issue was with the idiot behind the wheel and the chosen supporting mods.

LOL!

I'm truly not a fan of any kind of out of the box programmers without the options to custom tune. They are mass marketed and easy to mess up, their mess up cost you TONS of money.

We have a CHIP which we can send back to the company and have them reburn, or change any settings at any time. I like that. I want to get a DP tuner for my dads truck because of the great customer service and tons if different safe tunes.

SCT is the camp when it comes to 6.0's, Can you say looney tunes? I want one!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts